Cannot send mail over WiFi, only over EDGE

kunalashar

Dec 18, 2008
I have an iPhone 2G, 8GB, FW 2.2, jailbroken.

The Problem

• The iPhone is unable to reply to/forward any existing mails when it is connected over Wifi.
  • However, it is able to send all existing and new mails when it is connected over EDGE.
  • It is also able to send emails that originate from the iPhone; that is, I create a new email on my iPhone and send it.

Wifi Connection Is Not A Problem
I have 2 separate laptops connected to the Wifi, and the internet on both works fine. I am able to browse the net, and send and receive emails using multiple clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird. I am also able to browse the net using iPhone's Sarafi mobile browser, when connected to the Wifi.

Wifi Security Is Not A Problem
My Wifi is WPA-PSK secured, but I have the same problem even when I remove all wireless security (open).

Problem With All Mail Servers
I have multiple email accounts configured, including Gmail, AOL, Yahoo and several POP3 and IMAP servers. I am able to receive emails on ALL of them, but cannot reply to or forward any emails on ANY of them on the iPhone.
I am, however, able to send emails that are created on the iPhone, from the from all of them.

Has anyone faced this problem and found a solution? Or could someone please suggest a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

macapp

Feb 4, 2009
raincouver
never had this kind of problem on my 2g phone before.

Last edited by a moderator:

kunalashar

Dec 18, 2008
Something screwy going on

I tried the iPhone on a different Wifi network with a different ISP. It had the same problem with a different Wifi. The problem seemed to point to "borked" iPhone settings.

So I restored the phone (actually updated to 2.2.1), re-jailbroke it. I ensured that none of my AppStore purchases were restored. I also didn't re-install any of my Cydia Apps. I configured a single account - a Gmail account, and tried the reply test over Wifi.

It worked.

Full of confidence, I added a Yahoo, an AOL, 1 custom POP3 and 1 custom IMAP account.

Bam! The problem reappeared!

I tried changing the Default Account from Gmail to another one, but no luck. The problem remained.

Full of resentment, I deleted ALL the email accounts, and reconfigured just one Gmail account.

Sure enough, it worked once again!

What in the name of Steve Jobs is going on?

Anyone have any ideas?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Try it one at a time. If the Gmail account works by itself, then move on. Delete it and try out the AOL account, does it work? Then deleted it and do the custom POP account, and so on. Let us know.

Joe

kunalashar

Dec 18, 2008
Problem with an IMAP server amongst POP3?

I was able to narrow down the problem to this:

When I configure a custom mailbox as an IMAP, it breaks the reply/forward function within iPhone (?).

I configured Gmail, Yahoo, AOL and 1 custom POP3 account (my.inbox.com). Everything was kosher. I then configured 1 custom IMAP account (pro30.abac.com).

It instantly broke the ability of the iPhone to send replies to any emails in any of the configured mailboxes.

The moment I deleted the IMAP account, the functionality began working.

So I configured the mailbox using the same server, but using a POP3 server configuration. And it worked!

Just to make sure, I deleted it and put back the IMAP configuration. Sure enough, the problem came back.

So while I have a workaround, I don't know what the actual problem is or why it occurs.