Can't activate new iPhone (V1), suggestions?

TNTITANS7

Oct 1, 2007
I was on the pay-as-you-go plan, but jumped back to blackberry (various reasons). I kept my iPhone as expensive ipod. Noticed cracked screen last week, went to Apple store today and they gave me new iPhone. I went to iTunes to activate and now it says unable to activate, invalid mobile number and I must go to AT&T store. Surely they will activate even though I'm not using it as a phone? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I was on the pay-as-you-go plan, but jumped back to blackberry (various reasons). I kept my iPhone as expensive ipod. Noticed cracked screen last week, went to Apple store today and they gave me new iPhone. I went to iTunes to activate and now it says unable to activate, invalid mobile number and I must go to AT&T store. Surely they will activate even though I'm not using it as a phone? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Jailbreak and unlock. That way, you avoid the iTunes activation page. if your iPhone is stock 1.1.4, try Pwnage. Easy to use and safe.

TNTITANS7

Oct 1, 2007
Jailbreak and unlock. That way, you avoid the iTunes activation page. if your iPhone is stock 1.1.4, try Pwnage. Easy to use and safe.

I'm not a tech guy, so bear with me. Today when I got back from Apple, I tried to sync with iTunes. It took about 30 minutes (retoring firmware, etc) and then it asked about phone number and boom, I could not activate. Went to ATT store and they said I had to have phone number to activate. The sold me a $15 prepaid sim with phone number. I came home tried to sync and same issue. Called ATT, and they told me same thing, ipphone cannot be activated without phone number. So...

you say I can jailbreak & unlock and get around this, how? I assume I have firmware 2.o after trying to sync today. I can't do anything on the phone currently except dial 911. Again, I just want to use all the device features except the phone, but I can't get past the activation issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....Jeff

TNTITANS7

Oct 1, 2007
Wait you got a brand new iPhone? For Free?

Yes, Apple replaced my 9 month old V1 iPhone with new V1 iPhone due to the cracked screen.

So, my pal at work jailbroke and unlocked the new iPhone and it's running 1.1.4 and I now have access to iTunes. My question - if I upgrade to 2.0 will I brick the phone? thoughts? suggestions? thanks!