Can't add song from another computer without deleting everything?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vcize, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Vcize

Vcize New Member

I'm new to the iPhone. Never used an ipod before because iTunes always bothered me. But I love my iPhone, best gadget/device I've ever purchased.

That said, it looks like my qualms with iTunes were not unfounded, at least for me. So here I am, with my iPhone typically sync'd with my home computer. I'm sitting at work with my laptop, and want to add some stuff from my laptop onto my phone. I go into iTunes on the laptop, attempt to add the stuff, and get:

"An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes library".

Are you freaking kidding me? I don't want to sync the whole library, I just want to add a few individual things from this computer onto my phone. In all honesty, this has got to be the most ridiculous design flaw I've EVER come across.

Is there some simple way around this? All I want to do is add a few songs/movies from this computer onto my iPhone. How freaking complicated can that be?

2. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

In iTunes you want to check manually manage music and then you should be able to sync with mutiple computers as long as your syncing from the same iTunes account

3. onlyoneromeo

onlyoneromeo New Member

copy the songs onto a disc take it home download it into your iTunes then sync

4. Vcize

Vcize New Member

I tried that, but literally even changing the setting to "manually manage music" and then clicking apply tells you that it will erase everything on the iPhone just to change the dang setting in iTunes.

Ridiculous.

5. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Yes, you have to do it on the original computer it was synced with 1st. Thats all.

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

This is Apple's way of preventing you from sharing media illegally between iPhones and iPods. It is annoying for those of us that want to sync on multiple machines, however.

7. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

But Dave they did give us sharing between PCs as long as their on the same network so we can sync on multiple machines and that not mean the neighbor down the street or coworkers and friends. They had to keep some control.;)

8. laina609

laina609 Member

I use a flash drive to copy music on from another computer and then copy onto original computer. Just make sure you add file to library in iTunes AND also copy to your "my music" iTunes music folder on your hard drive. If not, then once you take your flash drive out, iTunes won't be able to locate it.

9. maximo916

maximo916 Member
    Bronze

This is the one issue that inconveniences me the most. :019:furious
    I understand the illegally sharing music thing, but it's a pain in the butt to burn anything I get at work to a cd and transfer it via my home cpu.
    For music/videos I get from iTunes while at the office, I just write the name down and download it directly from my iPhone. I'm jailbroken, and the 3G Unrestricter eases a lot of my pain.:)

Edit: Oh, and the home sharing thing is kind of a joke to me(at least in the transferring music to iPhone sense). I mean, sure it's saving a few steps by not having to walk over to another computer.....in you're own house/office. In a perfect world, I'd much rather save a drive from the office to home.

10. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

You have several options. Like i said in my post earlier, plug your iPhone into your original pc you sync to and click manually manage music. You are then able to sync to multiple machines.

You can also change your iTunes hex code so it thinks it is the same library

Finally, you can just sync with your work computer, when you get home use a program like ifunbox and transfer all your new music to your laptop then sync to your main library. Bit of hasstle, but do it once a week or so and it isn't too bad.

11. maximo916

maximo916 Member
    Bronze

Cool I'll check those options out.
    Thanks.

12. Vcize

Vcize New Member

I'm not at home right now, so I can't sync to that one and change any settings right now.

What about email? If I email the files to myself, shouldn't I be able to access my email on the iPhone and download them from there?

I tried this, but it just starts playing the file when it's done downloading. I don't see any way to add it to my library, set it as a ringtone, etc etc. Where are the downloaded files even stored? I can't find them anywhere on the phone.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

You can't access attachments outside of the email app. No way to save a file to a folder or import anything into the iPod. These are limitations of the current iPhone platform. Jailbreaking offers solutions around these issues, however.

14. jeffreymellman

jeffreymellman New Member

where does it say in tunes to manually manage things?

15. jeffreymellman

jeffreymellman New Member

"In iTunes you want to check manually manage music and then you should be able to sync with mutiple computers as long as your syncing from the same iTunes account"

where in tunes can this be found?

16. maximo916

maximo916 Member
    Bronze

The attachment here is a screenshot of where that option is(circled in red) once you connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.

Attached Files:

17. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

There are programs that you allow you to sync your iTunes library over the internet. I suggest looking into that. That way both libraries are the same.

18. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Illegaly stealing music should not be as big an issue anymore. They need to loosen up.
    yes, when MP3's first came out and you had to populate your ipod it would be a fortune to buy 400 songs, so many people looked to cheat.
    But now, when you have a library, it's 1 song, most pay the 99 cnt.

However, it would be cool if they could just somehow engrave your password in the song when you download it. If someone copies it, they would need the iTunes account password. Maybe have the song ask for it 1 out of 100 times or something.

19. mkword

mkword New Member

On my home system I set up my iPhone to "Manually Manage Music and Files."

But when I'm on the road, if I try to add new songs using this setting it always says it will DELETE everything on the iPhone.

Apple for all its engineering ingenuity is just stupid sometimes.

20. jack kallis

jack kallis Guest

iTunes is library for i phones in which you can manage your songs and add to your phone,whenever you connect it to the computer iTunes automatically opens and sync started.