Can't backup via WiFi?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by altjx, Nov 29, 2013.

1. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

I know there's the option "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi" option, but is this only for syncing and not backing up? It seems like as soon as I try to back up a phone that's connected to iTunes over wireless, it starts to back up and then the device disappears from iTunes.

I just wanted to confirm that you can not back up devices over wireless using iTunes.

Anyone else able to verify/confirm this? Or is it just me for some reason?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It should be backing up wirelessly as well. Try rebooting the iPhone and the computer. If it still doesn't work, try doing a wired backup and then unplugging the USB cable and trying it wirelessly.

3. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Hmm, I usually shut my computer down every night when I'm done for it, and I've rebooted my phone to try this out but it's still not working for some reason.

I can do a wired backup just fine though. Did the wired backup and tried doing it again wirelessly, but the device disappeared again from iTunes. I even tried restarting the Bonjour and "Apple Mobile Device" services to see if that'd help, but still nothing.

My desktop (with iTunes on it) is directly connected to the wireless router, and my iPhone is only a few inches away from it as well.

Any other ideas?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you tried testing it with your antivirus program temporarily disabled?

Are iTunes and the iPhone up to date?

5. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

iTunes and iOS are up-to-date. Haven't tried backing up without antivirus turned off until now, but still getting the same results for some reason.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro

Thanks for your help thus far though.