Can't change Gmail notification sound

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by canrunin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. canrunin

canrunin New Member

I use the gmail app. On my iPhone 5 I tried several ways to change the sound to ( you got mail) it show it was changed but when I get email it's the stock sound.anyone have this problem and did you get it to work? Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Ah, someone with the same warped mind as me. I too installed the old AOL "You've Got Mail" as my e-mail notification sound. My text messages sound is Yoda saying "A message from the dark side you have" but that's another story. The e-mail notification alert sound is a one size fits all proposition. The same sound is used for e-mail notification from all addresses you have your phone set up to receive. If you haven't already done so, convert the sound file into an M4R ringtone file format and drop it into the iTunes "Tones" folder then sync it to your phone in your usual way. The M4R format is the only one iTunes or your iPhone will recognize for ringtones and alert sounds. There are several programs around for converting MP3 files to M4R files. My favorite is iRinger. It's free, allows you to edit the file before conversion, lets you to tweak the ringtone's volume up a little higher during the conversion process and places the finished tone in the proper iTunes location for you. Have fun with it, the possibilities are endless.

3. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I don't believe you can choose your sound gmail mail app as far as I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Go to Settings/Sounds/New mail. From there you can choose any sound listed including the ones you have created and placed in the phone via iTunes. Choose the tone you want and it will be played and unless another tone is chosen it will be the new tone.

5. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

He's is asking about the gmail app not the stock email app. As far as I know or see you can not change this.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

As usual, my ignorance is showing. I do have a G-Mail account that is set up in my iPhone but I didn't know there was separate G-Mail app available as I have always just used the stock e-mail app provided by Apple. Thanks for pointing it out. Learning is a good thing, especially for an old fart like me.

7. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

No problem, learn something new everyday I say.

8. pdxmatts

pdxmatts New Member

Why do you need the Gmail app? The iPhone mail app works just fine and you can change the sound. You can also have multiple email addresses in one place. If you want Push, then set up Gmail as an Exchange account and use m.goggle.com in the server field. I can't post a link yet, but if you goggle setting up Gmail through exchange it will have directions.