Can't exchange an iPhone purchased at an AT&T store..

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So I wanted to exchange my iPhone that was purchased 48 hours ago due to perceived poor battery life.

I bring the phone and box into the AT&T store I purchased it from and they told me that they will not exchange it. I need to go to my local Apple store to let them "look at it".

I screamed, yelled, and threatened but they just didn't care. They will RETURN my phone -10% restocking fee....but will NOT exchange a broken phone.

Just a word of warning.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Unfortunately, that is their practice. If there is something wrong with it, they won't exchange it. They'll just send you to an Apple store. So your options would be to return it minus the restocking fee or take it to an Apple store and see what they say. If they find that the phone is faulty or what have you, they should be able exchange it for you. Sorry to hear of your troubles.:(

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
ya that sucks that you wasted a trip and all, but the Apple store will take good care of you. it's just sad that the cell company Apple decided to partner with can't provide as good customer service.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Hmmm... no Apple store in Savannah. My vibrate/ring switch is SO recessed that I have to stick a knife edge in it to move it. Are you telling me (I purchased the 8 gig last Tues.) that I will not be able to exchange it? If so, I will tell them how screwed the situation is and then I will just pay the $60 and get a new one. Whatever. At least I get to open a fresh box again!

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Hmmm... no Apple store in Savannah. My vibrate/ring switch is SO recessed that I have to stick a knife edge in it to move it. Are you telling me (I purchased the 8 gig last Tues.) that I will not be able to exchange it? If so, I will tell them how screwed the situation is and then I will just pay the $60 and get a new one. Whatever. At least I get to open a fresh box again!
In your case, they would probably have you send it in to Apple. Unless you have a manager on duty at your AT&T store who doesn't care one way or the other, they won't exchange it for you. They'll let you return it and take their nice little restocking fee, though. That sucks, especially if you're within the 14 day return period. Good Luck!

bdiddy619

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
In your case, they would probably have you send it in to Apple. Unless you have a manager on duty at your AT&T store who doesn't care one way or the other, they won't exchange it for you. They'll let you return it and take their nice little restocking fee, though. That sucks, especially if you're within the 14 day return period. Good Luck!
don't blame AT&T for that policy of being able to only have your phone exchanged at a Apple store. thats was a policy brought up by Apple. so don't down AT&T for that. Thats the same reason why there are tons of iPhones available at the Apple store than your local AT&T store.so point the finger at Apple......

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
If you had used the "SEARCH" feature here, you would have not only saved yourself a trip to the AT&T store, you could have also saved some face and not gone off bitching at them, AND you wouldtn't have had to make this post! :D

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
don't blame AT&T for that policy of being able to only have your phone exchanged at a Apple store. thats was a policy brought up by Apple. so don't down AT&T for that. Thats the same reason why there are tons of iPhones available at the Apple store than your local AT&T store.so point the finger at Apple......

I'm not blaming anybody. I just think that both AT&T and Apple came together to put this product out (Which I LOVE by the way.). So, if by chance someone does get one that has problems, they should be able to take it back to an AT&T or Apple Store respectively and exchange. Granted they are within the 14 day return period. After the return period is up, then I would understand better having to go to Apple to do any exchanging.

Just my .02. Not that it matters! ;) I love the phone all the same though!:laugh2:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So I wanted to exchange my iPhone that was purchased 48 hours ago due to perceived poor battery life.

I bring the phone and box into the AT&T store I purchased it from and they told me that they will not exchange it. I need to go to my local Apple store to let them "look at it".

I screamed, yelled, and threatened but they just didn't care. They will RETURN my phone -10% restocking fee....but will NOT exchange a broken phone.

Just a word of warning.
They told you that when they sold it to you. You thought just because you screamed and shouted they would change the rules for you?

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
They told you that when they sold it to you. You thought just because you screamed and shouted they would change the rules for you?
yes, sadly, I was never told that if the phone was broken within 15 minutes of leaving the store, that AT&T would wash their hands of the transaction. I was told that they would return it or exchange it within 14 days. Period.

And yes, working in retail for 25 years, unfortunately I give in to all customers who yell and scream: Its not worth my breath to argue with them.

Regardless, the store that sold the item should exchange a defective product within their parameters.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
yes, sadly, I was never told that if the phone was broken within 15 minutes of leaving the store, that AT&T would wash their hands of the transaction. I was told that they would return it or exchange it within 14 days. Period.

And yes, working in retail for 25 years, unfortunately I give in to all customers who yell and scream: Its not worth my breath to argue with them.

Regardless, the store that sold the item should exchange a defective product within their parameters.
That's not the arrangement they set up with Apple. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean they're going to change it.

contact Apple and they'll send you another phone while they work on yours.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007

Just a word of warning.
you know whats funny. when i called my local Apple store back when i had brought the iPhone and it wouldn't turn on (fixed by doing hard reset) they actually told me that i couldnt get it repaired or exchanged there because i had bought it from an att store weird huh? i was like wtf its got a 1 year warranty form all defects and you guys should be able to fix it and there like "no its not our problem you have to take it back to where you bought it from"

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
you know whats funny. when i called my local Apple store back when i had brought the iPhone and it wouldn't turn on (fixed by doing hard reset) they actually told me that i couldnt get it repaired or exchanged there because i had bought it from an att store weird huh? i was like wtf its got a 1 year warranty form all defects and you guys should be able to fix it and there like "no its not our problem you have to take it back to where you bought it from"
That's completely different than what I was told. I was told that cell service was AT&T's deal and cell phone was Apple's.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
That's completely different than what I was told. I was told that cell service was AT&T's deal and cell phone was Apple's.
thats exactlly what i thought. now don't get me wrong i was just saying that what my retarded local Apple store said. but i know for a fact they were lying or just plain dumbasses :p