can't figure out this modding thing

sto907

Sep 1, 2007
Anchorage, ALASKA
so i finally decided that i'm bored with my iPhone, and want to mod it..
all i want is basic modding, like changing graphics and stuff, nothing too difficult..
so i went to modmyifone.com and followed some instructions, and i'm using jailbreak, and it comes up, so i hold down the home & sleep/wake button until the jailbreak says "sending more files" and then it'll sit there.. and then iTunes pops up, saying i have to restore and what not, and then i closed that, and then it says that i didn't hold it long enough,

how long am i supposed to do this?

or does anybody know a super easy way thats idiot-proof? :p

thanks for the help

sto907

Sep 1, 2007
Anchorage, ALASKA
What firmware is your iPhone and are you using Windows or Mac?

I have 1.1.2 and am using windows..

update: so i downloaded ibrickr, and get all the way to the part where it says i need to downgrade to 1.0.2 or whatever, and it won't ever let me downgrade and then i have had to restore my iPhone 3 times already, anyone where i am going wrong?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007

update: so i downloaded ibrickr, and get all the way to the part where it says i need to downgrade to 1.0.2 or whatever, and it won't ever let me downgrade and then i have had to restore my iPhone 3 times already, anyone where i am going wrong?
What guide are you following? There are a lot of folk who have spent a lot of time making idiot-proof guides that will work if you follow them. There are different ways of approaching it so the smart people will read ALL the guides and then make their own plan once they understand what all the steps are and what all the steps are there for.

Hope this helps.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

I believe you'll need to downgrade to 1.1.1, then jailbreak that, and install oktoprep, then upgrade back to 1.1.2 and re-jailbreak that according to instructions (using search feature) and you'll be good to go.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
I believe you'll need to downgrade to 1.1.1, then jailbreak that, and install oktoprep, then upgrade back to 1.1.2 and re-jailbreak that according to instructions (using search feature) and you'll be good to go.

what he said is correct thats exactly what you have to do ive had to do it several times already since ive bought a couple phones. If you need help just say something i can help you i also have all the files dl that you need to jailbreak and downgrade with so holler if you need help

sto907

Sep 1, 2007
Anchorage, ALASKA
what he said is correct thats exactly what you have to do ive had to do it several times already since ive bought a couple phones. If you need help just say something i can help you i also have all the files dl that you need to jailbreak and downgrade with so holler if you need help
you think you can help me out?

like i said, i'm 1.1.2 and using windows xp, with the newest iTunes, 7.5 and even tried to downgrade to iTunes 7.3 and i can't do that either!
please help! i'm getting bored and don't want to resort to selling my iPhone!

sto907

Sep 1, 2007
Anchorage, ALASKA
ok so i give up!
so i tried to downgrade like everyone is telling me, and i keep getting an error message and had to restore my phone, forgetting to sync before and lost a lot of new crap on my phone which i can deal with.. but THEN somehow my iTunes got screwed up and then the 'iPhone' device button on the side bar doesn't work, and my phone has been restored but will not sync so i have NOTHING on my phone at all..

i really suck at this..:(

two things:
1.can someone help me get my stuff back? - i'll do a search as well..
2.can someone give me good step by step fool-proof instructions on how to do this? (at least a good link!)

Thanks everyone!