Can't find an iPhone!

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
So i was planning on going to the Apple store tomorrow to get my iPhone. Everyday the Apple website said they were in stock. Except tonight I checked and it's going to be out of stock tomorrow! :(. How often are the att stores getting shipments? anybody know or have any info. I'm in Austin TX btw.

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
I would also like to know if anyone knows if ATT stores are getting iPhones tomorrow (Monday). They don't seem to be answering their phone at the one near me that is almost 20 miles away. No Apple stores anywhere nearby either.

So, anyone know if ATT will have more iPhones tomorrow (Monday) AM?

Oct 4, 2007
San Francisco
At&t was telling people (once they ran out of 3g iPhones) that they could order/reserve an iPhone for them and it would take between 1-2 weeks for them to be avaliable at the store.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
AT&T stores were telling us 7-10 days. I said, "to hell with that!" and went to the Apple Store.

Persistence and luck got me my iPhone 3G on Friday. :cool:

michael95gt

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Adamsville, Tn
All the AT&T stores in my area(50 mile radius) are out, and a couple wouldn't even guess as to when they will be getting more in. They are really pushing the "Direct Fullfillment" I'm not elegible for an upgrade so I'll be paying the $399/$499 price; I'm having a problem paying that much for something I wont get for 7-10 days, plus I'm considering White and I haven't even got to see one in person yet. I hate to buy it without see it first.:confused:

The closest APPLE store is in Memphis, Tn over 100 miles away!:rolleyes:

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I was talking to an AT&T HQ Employee... the 7-10 days is the "company line." They are expecting the ordered shipments to arrive daily. Some AT&T Stores were getting shipments of phones daily and half were ones that were ordered. Also the ordered phones have the customers names on them, so they cannot be sold.

Take it for what it is worth, but that is what she said

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I think I know how AT&T "appears" to be getting shipments daily.

A colleague of mine was in line Saturday and here's what he wrote:

"When I went to the downtown ATT store yesterday they were walking down the line asking what everyone wanted and marking them off their stock list. At the top of the sheet of paper it said “Shipment received on 7/10 to be sold on 7/12”. I said something about it and the guy just told me I wasn’t supposed to see that.

The short of it is that it looks like they received a bigger shipment than they admit but had to spread them out over a couple of days. Maybe they had some that they weren’t allowed to sell until today also."

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
My dad ordered three iPhones off O2's website, one (his) came Friday morning, the other two (mine and one of his employees) will not arrive until O2 get more in.......hopefully end of this week, beginning of next.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
I just got back from the Apple store. Even though they said they were out of stock I thought i'd give it a try. Of course, none. I guess I'll try back tomorrow!

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
I think I know how AT&T "appears" to be getting shipments daily.

A colleague of mine was in line Saturday and here's what he wrote:

"When I went to the downtown ATT store yesterday they were walking down the line asking what everyone wanted and marking them off their stock list. At the top of the sheet of paper it said “Shipment received on 7/10 to be sold on 7/12”. I said something about it and the guy just told me I wasn’t supposed to see that.

The short of it is that it looks like they received a bigger shipment than they admit but had to spread them out over a couple of days. Maybe they had some that they weren’t allowed to sell until today also."
Yes, that is correct. I was in my local AT&T store on Friday afternoon after they had sold out, and the manager told me that they had a lot more iPhones in the back, but that she could not sell any more of them until Saturday morning.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
Does anyone know how often the Apple store receives shipments on iPhones?
I would think that the Apple stores are getting more in stock every day. You shouldn't have a problem getting one this week. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Well, my AT&T store said they would get some in today and they didn't.... my direct order is still on back order.....

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Yes, that is correct. I was in my local AT&T store on Friday afternoon after they had sold out, and the manager told me that they had a lot more iPhones in the back, but that she could not sell any more of them until Saturday morning.
Heard that rumor too and it appears to be true in my local AT&T Store. Spoke to a rep on the phone and stopped by later afternoon when they sign up said "sold out" and he said knowingly come back in the morning.

I heard what he was saying and did so. But 30th in line right before opening, they were nice enough to say they only had 8GBs phones so I bolted.

Got lucky as I immediately went to my car and picked the right store to go to which was the Short Hills Mall, NJ. Got there 15 minutes before opening and less than 20 people ahead of me. Was out with a white 16GB in an hour!

Just looked at the Apple site and NJ is now drier than the desert. NYC stores are showing availability and I'm sure there are plenty of people standing in line right now at the flagship 5th Avenue store.

I do love my new 3G phone. One downside to my original iPhone is that my car's Peripheral Electronics direct connection for playing music is now not providing power to the unit. That's a real problem. Peripheral said that Apple has changed the powering to the unit and they will look into it. Darn.
And the sound is so good. (I use lots of uncompressed music, about 6 gigs worth.)

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I went to the Apple store here in orlando and there was still a long line outside and when I asked an employee outside he said they were sold out.....wtf all those people in the line were doing was beyond me.

I went to the AT&T store down the street and he said all 30 orlando locations were sold out so I just preordered one.

He could be wrong though. Hell, when I was comparing the screens from my iPhone to the new one he said, "they are exactly the same screen".

I could tell the difference in color between the 2 but in all honesty I actually think the 3g screen looks better, it seemed brighteter, not yellow.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I agree on the screen. Maybe the color "warmth" is impacted by the brightness level.
But I think my 3G screen is much better than my original iPhone. It's very clear and has better contrast and depth. For me, it's not even close.

I sympathize with people trying to get the iPhone 3G. It's a real challenge.

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
Yup, I still haven't found one either. I drove to the ATT store this morning at 9 and they didn't have any. They also told me that none of the stores nearby had them today either. I had to drive up there because they don't answer their phones, it just goes to their lame voicemail saying all the CSR's are busy. That is insane, I had to drive 20 minutes and when I got there there were 3 girls sitting around gossiping doing nothing. GRRRRRR ...

I decided to call the closest Apple store in Orlando which is 1.5 hrs away from me. I said WTH ill make the drive and get this over with. When I called they said they had some white 16gb left. I asked if she thought they would still have them in 1.5 hours when I could get there. She said probably not and that she wouldn't waste her time. At least she was honest with me.

Im in a bind, I sold my V1 on ebay and I need to ship it out today. I cant go phoneless for too long :( Any ideas?