Can't find backups

Jun 19, 2009
Hi,

I have a 3GS and for some reason I can not find my back up files that iTunes creates. It goes through the "backing up iPhone..." step. But when I hit shift restore to see the list of backups to pick from... it opens up my docs folder and nothing is there. What is the file type so I can search my pc to see if it is someplace else?

I did find a posting for the directory it says it should be in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync.... I see the Apple Computer sub dir, but not the mobilesync or anything else

Also, I jailbroke my phone now if that matters...but wasn't able to find the backups prior to that either.

Thanks

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
c:\documents and settings\user\application date\Apple computer\iTunes\mobilesynch\backup is where mine are. There are 2 folders there with long random character names.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
In iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices tab. You'll see a list of your backups there, with dates.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
It also depends on what Microsoft OS you are running. Vista and W7 have the Apple computer folder in a different location than XP.

Vista & W7 have it located under C:/Users/User Name/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync

Jun 19, 2009
Thanks guys... I do have Vista... so your tip helped me find it. Thanks for the reply.