Can't find compatible Bluetooth earpiece for iPhone

Fnashbar

Jun 9, 2008
Hi.

I'm at a loose end. I've yet to find a bluetooth earpiece that works well with the Apple iPhone. I've tried Nokia's, Motorola's and now Sony Erikson, and none of them work properly. They all unpair themselves from the phone after 10 -20 minutes. I have also heard that some headsets don't work with certain car types! Can you recommend one that works well in a Vauxhall Zafira? The phone shop are quickly losing patience with me. :(

Many thanks

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Hmmm I've had several and all have worked well. My personal favorite was the Aliph Jawbone and now the Jawbone 2 which is waaay more comfortable.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Hi.

I'm at a loose end. I've yet to find a bluetooth earpiece that works well with the Apple iPhone. I've tried Nokia's, Motorola's and now Sony Erikson, and none of them work properly. They all unpair themselves from the phone after 10 -20 minutes. I have also heard that some headsets don't work with certain car types! Can you recommend one that works well in a Vauxhall Zafira? The phone shop are quickly losing patience with me. :(

Many thanks
What does your 'car type' have to do with a bluetooth earpiece?
I use plantronics, and never had a problem.

Fnashbar

Jun 9, 2008
What does your 'car type' have to do with a bluetooth earpiece?
I use plantronics, and never had a problem.
That's what I thought. I read it somewhere - I haven't a clue!

I've ordered a Plantronics 510 earpiece. Hope it's comfortable!? I've found that some of them are a bit painful on the ear after wearing them for a while. I've also got problems with the iPhone whereby when I send texts that are longer than 1 page they take hours to get through. Has anyone else had this problem?

celladit

May 27, 2008
I've ordered a Plantronics 510 earpiece. Hope it's comfortable!? I've found that some of them are a bit painful on the ear after wearing them for a while. I've also got problems with the iPhone whereby when I send texts that are longer than 1 page they take hours to get through. Has anyone else had this problem?
Well, regarding the problem you sited, it is some kind of personal stay-up issue with the earpiece. All have different torarence to wear the earpiece.

And maybe you also like to check where you got your iPhone.

I assure you many Bluetooth headsets work with iPhone.:laugh2:

Good Luck

MacDaddy

Jun 24, 2007
I have tried many BT earpieces, and I can say that the Aliph Jawbone is head and shoulders above the rest. the one way to improve on it is to get a custom ear mould made for it. I had one done by Avery Sound ( www.averysound.com ) The result is that it fits so well that I don't need the ear loop anymore, and it is so comfortable I have completely forgotten that I was wearing it many times.

I will be getting the Aliph Jawbone II when I get my iPhone 3G on July 11th.

Regarding the "un-pairing" issue. I have had a problem with all the BT earpieces if I have used if there is too much obstruction between the earpiece and the iPhone. But they shouldn't un-pair, they just disconnect temporarily, and reconnect when the obstruction is removed (or the iPhone is moved to a pocket closer to the ear with the BT earpiece)

ps. I don't work for Aliph or Avery Sound

pps. I don't know what you mean when referring to "working with the car". All I can say is that among the vehicles I have I drive a 1970 London Taxi around NYC which sounds like an old tractor inside. When I'm wearing the Aliph Jawbone the noise cancellation is so amazing that nobody knows I'm even in a car.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Hi.

Many thanks
ah yes, I had the same issue with my GTO (Holden Monaro). I had to send my blue tooth module to JHP in Australia to have it re-flashed to BT2.2 so it would work with the iPhone. Try emailing them (www.jhp.com.au) and seeing if the can help. Good luck!

Fnashbar

Jun 9, 2008
Update

Just to update everyone. After trying 3-4 different makes of bluetooth earpieces, I've finally found one that's compatible with my iPhone, and does'nt unpair itself at all. It's the Jawbone that Jaydoc 1 recommended. :cool: As well as staying constantly connected, it's so comfortable I forget I have it fitted. Thanks to the different sizes of ear loops and lobes that came with it, you can tailer suit it to you're own ear.

Also the fault I had when trying to send more than one page of text with the iPhone turned out to be a software conflict with the network o2.

convict

Jul 4, 2008
RE: Disconnection problem.

I've got a jawbone which I've just bought for my iPhone, but I'm getting infuriated with them at the minute. The bluetooth connection is lost after 2-3 minutes, no matter how close the headset is to the phone. Th iPhone still thinks its connected, even if you turn the jawbone off and a similar thing seems to happen with all the bluetooth headsets I've tried. Equally, my jawbone seems to work fine with other phones.

Is this a problem with my iPhone and if so, what should I do about it?

Fnashbar

Jun 9, 2008
Re-setting iPhone

Have you tried unpairing the Jawbone from you're iPhone using the phone's settings, then re-setting the iPhone by pressing the top and bottom buttons together for 6 seconds. It'll restart itself. Then pair up you're Jawbone again?

convict

Jul 4, 2008
Have you tried unpairing the Jawbone from you're iPhone using the phone's settings, then re-setting the iPhone by pressing the top and bottom buttons together for 6 seconds. It'll restart itself. Then pair up you're Jawbone again?
Yeah, and I've also restored the firmware, both with no effect.

I suspect its something duff with my phone itself, as the headset appears to work fine with other phones, and similar things happen with other brand headsets on my phone

Fnashbar

Jun 9, 2008
New version software

The only thing I can now think of apart from repairing the iPhone, is to upgrade the software for it when it is released later this month.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I have the first Jawbone and never had any pairing issues. It works fine there. My problem with it was that no matter what I did, the earbuds would just keep falling off. I like the idea of the variety of earbuds and earhooks. Kudos to that for sure. But I just couldn't stand the earbuds constantly falling off. I tried it without any earbud, but it hung too loose and would fall right off at the slightest tilt of my head. Maybe I just don't have the right ear anatomy or something, LOL! So, I don't use it anymore and haven't tried another BT headset since.