can't fix iTunes after AT&Tepted jailbrake

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I wish I could think of a better title for this thread...

I just got a 3g and had the same problem that arose for the first time last week with my first gen. I attempt to jailbrake not unlock and fail or mess up. No big deal normally as I can always just restore and try again, right? Well, now my restore process hangs up in tunes ith the spinning heel of death. With my first gen I drove to the Apple store and they plugge of up and it worked like a champ. But when I attempted to restore again through my computer it was the same ole story. Got he 3g yesterday and attempted to use quickpawn and was stuck in some screen that showed a pic of Steve jobs in a carton. Couldn't restore through my iTunes. Same problm. Take it to the AT&T store in savannah today and they plug it in and it works great. Apple care on the phone said delete iTunes and reinstall. Did it and it reloaded my music. Hunted down hidden files of iTunes and deleted iTunes and started again. Same problm. Opened another user account and installed itnes. Hell. Iit looked like it just pulled iTunes from my original account.

Bottom line is the problem seems to be with myniTunes on my computer because I can apparently restore on any other computer unless it's mine. I can synch and everything is ok that way I just cannot restore.

I might be an idiot but I know that I have nothing to fear as long as I'm not try to unlock. But when I can't restore... WTF?

Any help appreciated.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
all the regulars around here are apparently all hanging out in the off topic section so I'm going to keep this thread active for a little bit until I can illicit a little help

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
OJ,
Have you tried a complete uninstall of all things Apple related? Here's a guide on that:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

Here's another article with free software that supposedly uninstalls all traces of iTunes:
http://zardozz.com/zz/2008/04/how-to-completely-uninstall-and-remove-all-traces-of-itunes.html

If that still doesn't work, have you considered reformatting your computer? That will ensure that all remnants of iTunes are completely gone. This is probably an extreme solution and may not be worth the hassle.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yes the reformat might take place tomorrow morning....here's what I just found...

How To Completely Uninstall and Remove all Traces of iTunes

Posted by scotty777...

Are you going crazy trying to completely uninstall iTunes from your PC?
Ok this is not one of our usual posts but after going bonkers for days searching through a number of forums I felt compelled to share this solution with anyone with a similar nightmare.
Scenario: Your latest download of iTunes got corrupted on your system somehow or was uninterrupted during installation. Doesn’t matter how. It happened to me. I realized I had to remove and reinstall iTunes. So I thought I would just download the latest version first and try reloading it. No dice. So I thought ok, I would first remove it using the ADD/REMOVE feature in the control panel and try again. Not so easy or that simple thanks to the brain trust over at Apple. Low and behold I could not get the iTunes program off the Programs list. Reloading iTunessetup.exe gave errors and would not start. In my ensuing hours of Google research I found many posts of folks with just this issue in a similar situation. Let me share with you what I found and post some information from various forums I researched that will help you solve this problem:
First here is your overall objective:
Before you can reinstall iTunes you must first remove all reminants of the following applications including all “left over” files from your registry. Yep… that scary place on your PC ! :

First try removing each of these with the uninstallers. You may find you cannot get some of these completely uninstalled…
  • iTunes Softare
  • Apple Mobile Support
  • iPhone (if you have it loaded)
  • Bonjour (expecially Bonjour,the most problematic and most difficult component to remove properly)
  • Quicktime
  • Apple Software Update
  • and anything else related to iTunes — that’s the tough part
Here is how to do this with a special freeware program designed specifically to REMOVE ALL TRACES of a previously loaded program from your PC. You can obtain it from OpenWeb Downloads for free in the General Utilities Section of their Downloads section if you register. Registration is just the typical bulletin board / forum registration to avoid spammers.
1. BACK UP YOUR PC — Make sure you have restore points in case you really mess up and have to roll back. I can’t stress this enough but if you feel lucky proceed to the next step.
2. Download RevoUninstall and Unzip to a folder on your desktop
3. Intall Revo and run it and follow instructions.
4. Find one of the applications to remove and select it.
4a. Click on Uninstall icon in the top toolbar. It will ask you if you are sure, say yes.
4.b Select the ADVANCED deep clean option 4th bullet down. You will need to DELETE the BOLD ENTRIES when the screen appears and you prompted.
4c. Note: I use Firefox and some /pref information also appeared. I choose not to delete these since there were no clear reference to iTunes anywhere in the directory listing. It did not have any problems skipping these for fear of screwing up my FF preferences. (you could always re-run and remove these and try again if you felt you needed because YOU DID BACK UP YOUR PC, RIGHT ?)
5. Make sure you remove ALL BOLD HIGHLIGHTED REGISTRY KEYS and FILES in each screen that Revo presents you. ALL DRIVES ! Be sure to follow the prompts as it cleans, you want to make sure to delete all of the registry entrys HIGHLIGHTED IN BOLD ONLY.
You have to remove all these applications: iTunes, Apple Mobile Support, iPhone, Bonjour, Quicktime, Apple Software Update and anything else related to iTunes. Don’t skip any EXCEPT YOUR MY MUSIC files of course!
6. REBOOT….
7. Then check your ADD/REMOVE programs in your Control Panel. You should see all previous programs removed.
8. Check that your PC is functioning normally. Make sure windows browsers work and everything seems fine! If not you may want to rerun Revo…. worst case, Restore your backup as you may have some other issue affecting your situation.
9. Now DOWNLOAD A NEW COPY of iTunes from Apple Site. It should now install like as a new installation.
10. You will probably need to log into iTunes Store and RE-AUTHENTICATE your PC to accept your recently purchased songs etc. The new software allows you to authorize 5 PCs.
Hopefully Apple will acknowledge this as an issue that they should address it in new releases. The fact that they have you load software on your PC that almost requires a degree in Computer Science to completly remove all associated keys in the Registry is really not what I would call elegant in this day and age!

Ldc4S

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Have you tried using a different USB port on your computer?

jmartin

Aug 11, 2008
Have you tried using a different USB port on your computer?
Strangely this work for me in the same situation. Anyone no why one USB will work and another wont?