Can't Get Excited About iPhone 5, Going to Grab a Windows Phone

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This is the first iPhone ever that I don't feel at all excited about. Maybe that will change when Apple unveils it and I'll kick myself - but I'm looking at grabbing an HTC HD7S and handing down my iPhone 4 to my wife.

I honestly use the iPhone far less these days anyway, spend far, far more time on the iPad.

I'm quite psyched to spend some time with a Windows mobile (not Windows Mobile) device again.

HTCHD7S.png

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Windows Phone 7 is actually very slick for a Microsoft product. I've been writing apps for it for fun until I get a actual device to test them on and put in more effort into the platform.

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
Yeah, and Windows 8 for mobile devices looks even more slick.
I think Microsoft could be a real competitor for iOS and Android.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I actually want to test drive Windows Phone 7 for a solid 3 or so months and see if I can go iOS-less and not want to run back. So far only webOS has come close.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I have a friend who switched from a 3gs to a windows phone. Loves it, says she will never switch back
From a 3GS to almost anything is gonna be a pretty big jump, the most recent Windows phones are pretty new so anybody would love them, especially since there is two phones released after 3GS, the 4 and there is another iPhone pending it's debut.

katelynneemma

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 15, 2011
N.Y.
From a 3GS to almost anything is gonna be a pretty big jump, the most recent Windows phones are pretty new so anybody would love them, especially since there is two phones released after 3GS, the 4 and there is another iPhone pending it's debut.
Understood. She switched about 8 months ago, still a pretty big jump.

Oct 3, 2009
The thing about a Windows phone is the UI is just sexy. I put the OS7 theme on my iPhone a lot. I'll never switch to Android or Windows though.
Agree. It's quite nice looking. And fresh. There is something to say about just having a fresh experience. It's one of the reasons I JailBreak. To me, iOS has gotten stale. Although there has been small features added, the experience is still the same as day one. I have lived with this phone for many many years and it's just not cutting it there anymore. Unless some really cool themes come out and it gets easier to actually make them work.

I mean take a look at an original iPhone screen shot.
www.iphone_spares.com_images_news_iPhone_comparison_pic.jpg

Then look at a iPhone 4

www.fullontech.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_05_iphone4.jpg

Not much in the experience or the UI has really changed. Just seems stale to me.

I can remember when people on this forum made a big deal about iOS4 and how some of the icons "slightly changed" WOO HOO.....slightly? Really? Get excited about that?

It's a good phone, don't get me wrong. I like it. I am just bored with it. I like how the Windows phone looks but I have never used one of the newer ones. Last WinMo phone I used was a HTC TouchPro. I would like to test drive a Win7 or 8 phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Got this phone just a little while ago. 30 days to return in and swap the upgrade for an iPhone 5 if it gets unveiled and blows my mind, or an HTC Desire running Android that also impressed me while I was in the store.

No real first impressions as yet, except that it's kinda lame that the thing came out of the box with very near zero charge. :(

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Patrick, I hope you stick around on eiC even if you do own a horrible Windows device. I wont think any less of you. :)

J/K
I'm not going anywhere. I'm also not 'done with iPhone' or Apple or anything even in that neighborhood.

Honestly, I have just found for many months now that my iPad gets tons and tons of use and my iPhone less and less. It had become almost 'just a phone'. My MacBook Pro is also a workhorse and there's no way on earth I'd switch away from Mac in terms of my PC.

I genuinely have not been feeling psyched about grabbing an iPhone 5, like I had for every previous model. And it's just been a long while since I spent meaningful time with another mobile platform. I still have some fond memories of Windows Mobile from way back in PDA days - before it got old and stale.

If the iPhone 5 blows my mind when it's unveiled, then I might well return this one and swap to the iPhone 5.

Anyway, not going anywhere.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I actually felt the same way when the iPhone 4 was released. I wasn't excited about it as I was the original, 3G and 3GS releases. Test driving another phone isn't a bad idea for sure. For me, the iPhone touch screen is still better than the others and reliability and functionality still puts it above any other phone. Those reasons alone make it hard to leave the phone. I'm a bit more excited about the 5 than I as the 4.