Can't have business and personal calendars/contacts?

Jul 3, 2007
OK, so I use iCal and Address Book on my Mac for my personal calendars and contacts. At work, I use Outlook for my work email, calendars and contacts.

When I setup my iPhone 3G last night, I first synced my iCal and Address Book on my Mac via iTunes...works great, no problem. Then, when I setup my ActiveSync Exchange access for work, my Outlook contacts and calendars replaced my personal ones!

What gives? Why can't I store both in my iPhone (i.e. in separate folders)? Right now, my iPhone can be for personal use OR businesss use but not both!

Any of you 2.0 software Beta testers mention this limitation to Apple? What did they say in return?

Andrew

Shakes

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
North West Indiana
www.digitaljargon.com
OK, so I use iCal and Address Book on my Mac for my personal calendars and contacts. At work, I use Outlook for my work email, calendars and contacts.

When I setup my iPhone 3G last night, I first synced my iCal and Address Book on my Mac via iTunes...works great, no problem. Then, when I setup my ActiveSync Exchange access for work, my Outlook contacts and calendars replaced my personal ones!

What gives? Why can't I store both in my iPhone (i.e. in separate folders)? Right now, my iPhone can be for personal use OR businesss use but not both!

Any of you 2.0 software Beta testers mention this limitation to Apple? What did they say in return?

Andrew

This is how every phone with Exchange ActiveSync works be it Windows Mobile, iPhone, or Palm.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Not sure if this is the case.

I have EAS enabled. But if I go into

Settings
Mail,Contacts,Calendar
Mac (or whatever you've called your .mac email account)

And turn on Contacts or Calendars, what happens? I don't get any warnings like I do when I enable Bookmarks. I will try this when I get home as I've got a ton of calendar data in the mobilme cloud and I don't want another fiasco like the pre-release to release 2.0 experience that left me without a phone for 5 hours....

Now prior to 'discovering' these setting options. I exported a couple of my ical calendars and imported them into Exchange. They pushed over to my iPhone just fine. I'm not a big fan of ical so this way certainly works if the other method above doesn't.

Jul 3, 2007
Thank you so much Ohmster! I hadn't yet turned on MobileMe Push services for my personal data. Once I did (like you suggested), all is good. Now, for both Contacts and Calendars on my iPhone, I have the choice of looking at just my personal data, just my work data or both in a merged area. This is totally awesome! MobileMe and ActiveSync on the iPhone rock!

Thank you so much again for this awesome tip!

Andrew

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Thank you so much Ohmster! I hadn't yet turned on MobileMe Push services for my personal data. Once I did (like you suggested), all is good. Now, for both Contacts and Calendars on my iPhone, I have the choice of looking at just my personal data, just my work data or both in a merged area. This is totally awesome! MobileMe and ActiveSync on the iPhone rock!

Thank you so much again for this awesome tip!

Andrew
Don't forget to "Thank" the man ;)

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I do not see a "turn on" option for calendar and contacts on my email account. Is this because I set it up under the "Other Mail" option as its a pop3 account at my own domain and not a .mac or .me account?

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
So it only works if you have MobileMe.