Can't hear anything when placing calls!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kerrynyc, Oct 9, 2011.

1. kerrynyc

kerrynyc Member
    Bronze

So I've had my iPhone 4 since June... it's my third one (long story) anyway, this current phone has been great up until yesterday. I get phone calls, but I can't hear anyone on the other end! All my volumes are up, I checked the general settings... nothing has changed. The actual speaker works... I have a certain song as my ringtone, and I hear it just fine. So basically, the phone rings, when I answer it, my friends can hear me, but I can't hear them. I just now tried calling my friend, dialed the number and put the phone to my ear and... nothing. Just dead silence. The only time I can hear someone is if I put them on speaker. I just backed up my phone now... I'm wondering if I should restore it? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Have you tried plugging in earbuds and see if you can hear audio from the phone that way?
    Sorry it's a problem, but nice to see you in here again.

3. kerrynyc

kerrynyc Member
    Bronze

Thanks roofmonkey :) yeah I plugged in the ear buds and I hear calls perfectly... So pretty much I can only hear calls on speaker and with the ear buds. No good. I use my phone often enough for calls but I dislike the fact that I spent 800 bucks and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Mehhhhhhhh... Looks like I will have to head to the Apple store tomorrow.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You can also try plugging and unplugging the ear buds in a few times, take a look inside the earphone port and see if there might be anything in there causing the phone to think the earbuds are plugged in. Sometimes plugging in and unplugging the earbuds a few times can fix the issue. Worth a shot.

5. SunnySweet

SunnySweet Contributor
    Bronze

The exact same thing happened to me ... I tried all the above mentioned tricks AND a restore. Nothing helped so I scheduled a genius appointment. Even though my phone was past warranty ... they promptly replaced it free of charge. Good luck!

6. kerrynyc

kerrynyc Member
    Bronze

Same... I did all of these actions last night and had no luck in fixing the issues. This stinks! The genius bar by me is packed out and I can't even get an appointment till Wednesday evening. It never fails, the Apple store by me is always packed to the brim!