Can't hear other person on phone

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Out of the blue today, I can't hear when somebody is talking through the earpiece on my iPhone. If I put them on speaker, it works fine (which is what I have to do to hold a conversation), but when not on speaker, I can't hear them.

The only thing I have done today is I tried an adapter that lets me plug in a regular set of earphones. Then I took it out, and the next time I used my phone, the earpiece didn't work.

Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions? I tried turning the phone off and then back on, but that didn't work. Thanks,
Ryan

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Try plugging the headphones in and back out a few times. I can almost guarantee you that will fix the problem.

spyder

Jul 25, 2007
Same problem

I have been experiencing the SAME issue since updating my phone to 1.0.2.... I haven't tried a restore yet, but it does tend to happen after I have used it as an ipod and then unplugged the headphones. Unplugging and plugging in the headset sometimes fixes the problem, but not always. I haven't found a trend to when/how as yet.

Jul 9, 2007
try plugging and unplugging the ear phones in different modes

example issue: the built-in ear piece didn't work for phone calls. people could hear me, but i couldn't them. also, the built-in speakers didn't work for ipod. although, the ear phones worked fine for both.

fix: placed a call with ear phones connected...then disconnected them while in a call. then, i could hear the caller via the built-in ear piece.

apparently, connecting and disconnecting the ear phones triggers mode settings and i guess things get out of sync (iPhone thinks the ear phones are plugged in when not)