Can't hear sound through headphones, only through speakers.

drhodus

May 1, 2009
Hey guys, my previous iPhone just died and I was able to trade it in for a new one at the Apple store. My questions is does anyone know why I can't get sound when I plug in my headphones? It will only play out of the speakers even when in ipod mode or after resetting it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to be able to use the headphones and mic that came with it. Thanks so much!

I have tried turning off silent mode, plugging headphones in and out and so on.

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
The sound should automatically come out of the headphones when plugged in. It seems that your iPod is messed up again. But, I would bring it down to the AT&T store and have them take a look at it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The sound should automatically come out of the headphones when plugged in. It seems that your iPod is messed up again. But, I would bring it down to the AT&T store and have them take a look at it.
ATT will just tell you to go to Apple. ATT just sells the phones, not trouble shoot.

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
That is true, but I have gone to them with issues and they were nice enough to help me out.

aeka78

Jun 9, 2009
Same problem with my iPhone 3G from Etisalat

I have the same problem with my iPhone 3G. In fact, I just bought it yesterday and it is just shy of 24 hours old.

Same situation. Sound and music comes out of the speaker just fine. However, any headphones I plug in will not work. All there is is silence with maybe a hint of sound which is barely audible at all.

I tried adjusting the volume, soft resetting the device, upgrading the firmware, restoring the firmware with backup restore, restoring to factory firmware, cleaning the headphone port, blowing the headphone port with compressed air, rapidly unplugging and plugging the headphone jack, tapping the side of the phone, and even shaking the phone in anger and frustration. Even my Bose headset did not produce any sound from it.

The same case for me also, Etisalat, the cellular provider in the UAE where I reside is giving me problems to get a replacement unit. Even at their headquarters, they simply said that they could not do anything about it and that I should just call a support number and see if their technical staff can solve it.

Now I am trying a full erase of the phone which will take an hour to perform. I am not counting on this to resolve it though but I will try anything out of desperation to get this darn thing to work properly.

JZD18

Jun 9, 2009
have you tried using different headphones?

aeka78

Jun 9, 2009
As I said:

"Same situation. Sound and music comes out of the speaker just fine. However, any headphones I plug in will not work. All there is is silence with maybe a hint of sound which is barely audible at all."

To clarify, I have tried Apple's headphones, Creative headphones, Bose headphones, Shure headphones, my car AUX in jack, Logitech headphones, and Sennheiser headphones.

Anyway, my experience with my carrier's iPhone technician was brief since I told him all this and immediately got a replacement unit yesterday. Horray!

I suggest anyone that experiences this to try both routes - request for a replacement and try to troubleshoot it at the same time. Of course, you have to remember that before you hand over the defective unit, you should do a full "Erase Settings and Data". That process takes about an hour to complete but completely wipes and restores the iPhone to a factory state.

rmfnla

Bronze
I had this happen with my 3G a few months ago.

I took it into the Apple store and they swapped it out for a new one, no questions asked.

I suggest anyone having this (or any other) problem not bother with an AT&T store; mine is sometime helpful and other times clueless. Why waste a trip; go to Apple first and get it done right the first time.

Don't forget to do a back-up before you go!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you've tried multiple headphone sets and none will work, the jack is messed up. Do what was recommended above - skip AT&T and go straight to an Apple Store.