Can't Live Without 3P Apps, PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. I updated to 1.1.1 last night. I wanted to use the new installer App and Summer board. Anyway, I followed all the instructions to the letter for the 1 click Jailbreak (for Windows, I knew I should have grabbed my Mac for this trip). I downloaded and unzipped (link removed), I then added iTunesMobileDevice.dll to the unzipped folder. I visited the jailbreak site from Safari on my phone. I then opened touchfree.exe. I got a command prompt Window that said Reading iPod Flash. I could go no further than that, it kept asking me did I visit the jailbreak site and reading iPod flash. I tried to get this to work several times and NOTHING. I now have a boring 1.1.1 iPhone with no 3P APPS that I feel like tossing out of a window. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks....M

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. I updated to 1.1.1 last night. I wanted to use the new installer App and Summer board. Anyway, I followed all the instructions to the letter for the 1 click Jailbreak (for Windows, I knew I should have grabbed my Mac for this trip). I downloaded and unzipped (link removed), I then added iTunesMobileDevice.dll to the unzipped folder. I visited the jailbreak site from Safari on my phone. I then opened touchfree.exe. I got a command prompt Window that said Reading iPod Flash. I could go no further than that, it kept asking me did I visit the jailbreak site and reading iPod flash. I tried to get this to work several times and NOTHING. I now have a boring 1.1.1 iPhone with no 3P APPS that I feel like tossing out of a window. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks....M
I suggest disconnecting the iPhone, revisiting the JailBreak site, Turn the iPhone off, turn it back on, reconnect it, then launch FreeTouch. I've been in a multitude of problems with this procedure throughout the 4 times I've Jailbroken, and you just have to keep messing with it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I suggest disconnecting the iPhone, revisiting the JailBreak site, Turn the iPhone off, turn it back on, reconnect it, then launch FreeTouch. I've been in a multitude of problems with this procedure throughout the 4 times I've Jailbroken, and you just have to keep messing with it.
Could you post a link of where to get FreeTouch? I Googled it but came up with nothing. Thanks..M

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Could you post a link of where to get FreeTouch? I Googled it but came up with nothing. Thanks..M
Pardon me iPhonian, I meant to write Touchfree - Which is the script you've already been executing. What I was trying to emphasize in my previous post is how finicky the whole process is in regards to what order the steps are performed. I was in your same predicament at one point, and kept fooling around with disconnecting, rebooting, and going to the Jailbreak site countless times. Eventually, it finally worked correctly. It certainly wasn't like previous guides where if you followed the instructions, it was fail proof. All I can say is don't give up!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Pardon me iPhonian, I meant to write Touchfree - Which is the script you've already been executing. What I was trying to emphasize in my previous post is how finicky the whole process is in regards to what order the steps are performed. I was in your same predicament at one point, and kept fooling around with disconnecting, rebooting, and going to the Jailbreak site countless times. Eventually, it finally worked correctly. It certainly wasn't like previous guides where if you followed the instructions, it was fail proof. All I can say is don't give up!
Oh ok, thanks I really appreciate your help. I am so frustrated. I guess I could just downgrade to 1.0.2, that is going to be plan B. I like the 1.1.1, the iPhone seems to run quicker and smoother with it. Thanks again...M

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
1) iPhonian, when you visited the jailbreak site, did Safari crash?

2) Before running TouchFree- In Windows- Cntl/Alt/Delete- did you make sure ALL references to iTunes was not running?- this might be the reason why you're getting that message; but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know what you do on a Mac to end tasks, but even on a Mac, you have to end everything related to iTunes.

2) Reading iPod Flash- it takes a while.

3) I suggest restarting computer & iPhone...but don't leave out step #2.

Hope you get it working; I think I could jailbreak in my sleep now.

These are the directions I followed; it references iPod, but works on iPhone perfectly:

PREPARATION
-----------

1. Extract all of the files in this zip archive.

2. COPY (not move) iTunesMobileDevice.dll from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin to
the same folder as touchFree.exe.

OPTIONAL: * Restore your iPod to a fresh 1.1.1 state (recommended)

OPTIONAL: * Exit out of iTunes. Using Task Manager (ctrl-alt-delete), end any other iTunes processes running on
your computer, such as iTunesHelper.exe, or iPodService.exe.

JAILBREAK
---------

DO NOT OPEN iTunes AGAIN UNTIL AFTER JAILBREAK IS COMPLETE.

3. Load jailbreak.toc2rta.com in Safari on the iPod. Safari should exit/crash.

4. Run touchFree.exe (make sure iTunes is closed)

- When prompted to reboot, turn off the iPod as you do so normally (slide to turn off) and then turn it
on again. After the springboard (the UI of the iPod) appears on the iPod, push enter in the window to
continue (the application cannot detect when the iPod has been successfuly booted, so you need to
cue it by pushing enter when asked to)

5. You should end up with an iPod with Installer.app and Trip1Pogostick installed, and SSH, SFTP enabled.

OPTIONAL: * Restart your computer to get iTunes to automatically open when your iPod is connected again.

If you're still having trouble, a reboot of your computer is often helpful.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Ok here's my suggestion. TouchFree Alpha just came out a few days ago. Apparently this fixed the problem of being stuck at "reading ipod flash" for several people. So if you want to try it, I've posted a guide below (note: this is for Windows only). Btw, you might want to do a restore on your iPhone before attempting this guide, just so that you have a clean start.

1. Make sure you have NET Framework 3.0 installed
2. Make sure your iTunes is closed.
3. Download and run TouchFree Alpha: http://www.slovix.com/touchfree/touchfree-alpha.exe
4. Follow the instructions exactly. It will tell you when to visit the TIFF exploit using your Safari browser. And no need to copy over any .dll files like the previous tutorials.

Note: this version of TouchFree will not install SSH on to your phone. So if you want SSH after you've jailbroken, you can do so by installing OpenSSH on Installer.

Good luck!