Can't move files to my Seagate external HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kobel1up, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Ok, so this is the first time that I have had this problem. I am able to move files from my seagate onto my MBP, but when I try to move those files to my external hard drive it won't accept them. It just gives me a circle with a slash through it.

I have used this hd for a year with no issues, and I am afraid that I may need to remove all the files and format the hd and then reinstall all of them. I did fallow the trouble shooting at seagate and that did nothing.
    thanks for any help

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Okay, I see you've already tried the troubleshooting steps at the Seagate [website]. Have you tried OS X's own Disk Utility?

Find and launch your Disk Utility application by going to to Macintosh HD (or whatever you've named your boot volume) > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and double-clicking on it, or by doing a Spotlight seach for "Disk Utility" and double-clicking on the top hit, which will be the application.

When Disk Utility launches, it'll list all your volumes (storage devices), both internal and external. Click on your Seagate external HD first (either line with "Seagate" or the one immediately below with the name of your Seagate drive), then click on First Aid at the top (your Disk Utility may look slightly different if you're not using OS X El Capitan):

diskutility.png
    First Aid will check the HD for errors, and make repairs if necessary. If there are file permission errors or some other type of errors preventing you from moving files to your HD, it should shed some light on your issue and possibly even fix it for you.

Good luck!

#2 Rafagon, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Also check something else before you exit Disk Utility . If you click Info (last option on the toolbar), it will show you a window with a bunch of settings on that hard drive.

Make sure that the line that says "Writable" says "Yes" at the right:

writable.png

4. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Ok, now this is curious. The check up did nothing but when I checked to see if it was writable. It says NO.
    I was able to move files back and forth and it has 570 gigs with 430 available. I guess I can now check to see if I can change the NO to a YES.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

I have been using this hard drive to store movies and play them on my sony media player in my bedroom. I really don't want to lose whats on this hd.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm wondering if your external drive is formatted as an "NTFS" volume, which is a Windows file system that OS X can read, but not write to.

If you right-click on the hard drive's icon, then click on "Get Info", what does it says under "Format:"? And what does it say all the way at the bottom, under "Sharing & Permissions"?

If it turns out that your external drive is formatted as an NTFS drive, you're going to have to copy everything that's on it somewhere else temporarily and reformat the HD using FAT32, which is a file system that's readable and writeable by both OS X (your laptop) and your Sony media player. It's real easy, but I'll explain how to do it after you confirm how your Seagate drive is formatted.

7. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the response. It does say format is NTFS, and under sharing and permission READ ONLY.

So now I'm looking into formatting. Now I believe that this came about when I upgraded to El Capitan. Do you think it would be better to wait for an update or is format my best bet either way?

8. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

And it only gives me the option for FAT not FAT32 does that make a difference? I am in disk utility and clicked on erase.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I take back what I said. FAT32 (or FAT) would limit your file sizes to a maximum of 4 GB each. You said you're using your external HD for movies, so it's definitely possible you use files larger than 4 GB.

Does it give an option for exFAT?

That is your best bet! Check out this article - http://lifehacker.com/5927185/use-the-exfat-file-system-and-never-format-your-external-drive-again

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So you were writing files to this hard drive from your Mac prior to El Capitan? That's very odd. If the format of your external drive is NTFS now, it would have been the same prior to El Capitan (installing El Capitan wouldn't change the way your external HD is formatted).

I'd say go ahead and format right now. With El Capitan, no need to wait for an update.

Even better, re-format (to exFAT), put a couple of movies on it, and try it out on your Sony media player. They should play. If it works, copy the remainder of your movies to your external drive.

11. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

I just reformatted to exFAT. Now I have already tried with the FAT format and my media player wouldn't read it, or my ps4, but my PS3 reads it now. When I say now, it never read a hd larger then 250 gigs before. Weird, right?
    So I will try the exFAT now.

12. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

And yes also weird is how it worked before without issues. I didn't know how to check the format and it always worked on my media player in my bedroom. Not on the PlayStations but the media play.

13. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Ok. Still not recognized by the media player, but now my PS3 won't read it. Crazy

14. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

So I think my best bet is just to use the FAT and it will work on one object.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That is very odd. In theory, it should have worked! I'm sorry we failed to get it to work.

What is the media player running… Windows 7? XP? Also, one more question, does your Sony media player let you use it as a computer… i.e., access to a full installation of Windows, including Windows tools like disk management?

I'm asking because my final suggestion would be to format the HD using your Windows media player instead of using your MBP. That would guarantee the Sony media player can read and write it, and also the MBP (providing you format using exFAT, of course).

16. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

I'm not sure about the software on the Sony media player. It's very close to how the PS3 main screen looks like.
    You are correct on file size of the FAT format. My movie files are around 1-2 gigs so it doesn't affect me to much.