Can't print from iPhone on iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by EverythingApple, Oct 10, 2014.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I had no problem with iOS 7 and my printer has not changed. With iOS 8, in Safari, I select the box with the up arrow, scroll right to Print, select Print, when I "Select Printer" no printer is found. Any suggestions?

2. EverythingApple

Gold

I Googled this and several people are also experiencing this. I sent a bug report to Apple. In the meantime, I had to download the HP ePrint app and use it. I just copy and paste the web address in their browser and print.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Printer Pro by Readdle is good.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I just printed a web page to my printer with no problems. I'm on iOS 8.1 Beta 2, so your mileage may vary.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

My mom was having trouble getting her 5c to print from the stock photo app after updating to iOS 8. I had her power cycle the printer and the router and reboot the phone and it went back to working normally. YMMV

Edit: She was having the same problem where her iPhone was not seeing the printer. My iPhone 5s (still on 7.0.4 jailbroken) was able to see the same printer fine before the trouble shooting.

6. EverythingApple

Gold

This has been corrected. Must've been one of the fixes in 8.1. I'm so happy.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'm guessing that something changed with AirPrint in iOS8 vs. iOS7. I recently re-installed a D-Link DIR-655 router that I had removed earlier this year because of incompatibility with AirPrint. When the Linksys router I had been using after that died, I reinstalled the DIR-655. I changed nothing in the router's settings and didn't upgrade the firmware, I just plugged it in and it all worked, surprisingly including AirPrint. The only thing that has changed in all of this has been migrating from iOS 7.x.x to iOS 8.1.1. The web has plenty of info regarding AirPrint problems with the DIR-655 and no solutions that worked universally. AirPrint is working on both my iPhones (a 5 and a 6) and on my iPad 3.

8. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

As a network engineer, I was interested in understanding this issue. From what I've read, airprint uses Apple's Bonjour, which is a zero configuration networking implementation. Basically, it's Supposed to do the hard work so users just need to plug things in.

Bonjour advertises services on the network using IP Multicast, and on its' own the advertisements are confined to a single IP subnet. So, if you have devices in two or more IP subnets, the router will not route the advertisements between subnets and your device will only be able to see services residing on your local subnet.

Another issue is related to wireless vs wired networks. Wired ethernet networks will pass these advertisements to every device connected to the local LAN. However, when it comes to wireless, some access points limit what wireless devices are allowed to send to each other, or they may not pass IP multicast messages. So make sure that you have enabled IP multicast on your router.

Is your printer connected to your local network via wireless (wifi) or wired ethernet?

Also, some AirPrint printers have the ability to be accessed wirelessly without being part of your local wifi network. That may cause additional problems in your network.

On my home network I have an HP AirPrint-capable printer connected via a wired Ethernet connection, and have given it a static IP address. Other wired computers can print to it (Windows, MacOS and Linux), and our iOS devices (iPhones and iPad) can print to it wirelessly, using AirPrint. I have an older Linksys WRT610N wireless router that is only used as a wireless access point, and everything works fine.

9. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Here's a little more about Bonjour. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/Bonjour74/Bonjour_Deployment.html#wp1061531

Bonjour uses Multicast DNS (mDNS) but advertises it using multicast IP address 224.0.0.251, which is a link local address. This means that it can't be advertised beyond the boundaries of your local LAN. But if your wireless router doesn't have multicast enabled it may not even pass the advertisements to other devices on the local LAN.

The rest of that link deals with Cisco's solution to create a gateway and advertise Bonjour services beyond the local LAN, so you can ignore that.