Cant re-mod my phone? iTunes got us

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

301finest

Jun 27, 2007
I tried to put the ringtones back on and the interface program runs but then shuts itself down. So i tried to start over by doing the restore and iTunes don't download the restore anymore? Think they found out how to prevent modding?

rrjr80

Jul 3, 2007
Not true at all. Any and all still work. Even iFuntastic still works.
It is kind of a pain, though. I mean it is great that we can still add ringtones, but everytime there is an update we have to go through the whole restore process. Damn iTunes takes sooooooo long to complete the restore, at least on my phone.

I miss my Metal Gear codec ringtone.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I tried to put the ringtones back on and the interface program runs but then shuts itself down. So i tried to start over by doing the restore and iTunes don't download the restore anymore? Think they found out how to prevent modding?
redownload jailbreak, the first time i tried to re-mod the phone it told me HAHA no second get out of jail pass for you! got my new copy and wala worked like a charm. don't know why but it worked

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
ive already updated my iPhone and ive been using iFuntastic to put my ringtone and logo thing back and then i used the iPhoneinterface to put back my blue battery and SMS bubbles. so it all works fine after the update :)

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
ive already updated my iPhone and ive been using iFuntastic to put my ringtone and logo thing back and then i used the iPhoneinterface to put back my blue battery and SMS bubbles. so it all works fine after the update :)
I'll pretty much confirm that the current Jailbreak hack will not work on version 1.0.1. I've tried on 3 computers now. Uless the devs of Jailbreak can work around this, I think windows based Ringtone mods are done.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I'm on a mac and used the exact same files I used the first time - after the update it worked no problem, still sucks to have to restore.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
I'm on a mac and used the exact same files I used the first time - after the update it worked no problem, still sucks to have to restore.
Again, it appears as though MACs are fine. However, on Windows Jailbreak is hosed. I've scrubbed my phone clean 4 times and tried on two different machine.

Hopefully the good shephards that did jailbreak will find a workaround.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
I'm using windows and I installed the update. I had to restore the phone to factory settings in iTunes. My original jailbreak software works fine. The only thing I changed in the "PHONEDMG" was the iTunes software. Everything is working just as before. I am modding again with no problems.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
I'm using windows and I installed the update. I had to restore the phone to factory settings in iTunes. My original jailbreak software works fine. The only thing I changed in the "PHONEDMG" was the iTunes software. Everything is working just as before. I am modding again with no problems.

hmm, compelling.. please explain more...

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
hmm, compelling.. please explain more...
All I did was download and install the update in iTunes. Then, I found the 1.01 update software, copied it to my "PhoneDMG" folder and changed the extension to .zip format. I then extracted everything from the zip to the "phonedmg" folder, overwriting anything that was already there. Afterwards, I ran Jailbreak with no problems. I then opened up the Manzana software and started adding back the icons I had previously changed. Ringtones installed as well. I didn't have any problems.

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble others are having. What measures did you take when you updated your phone?

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
All I did was download and install the update in iTunes. Then, I found the 1.01 update software, copied it to my "PhoneDMG" folder and changed the extension to .zip format. I then extracted everything from the zip to the "phonedmg" folder, overwriting anything that was already there. Afterwards, I ran Jailbreak with no problems. I then opened up the Manzana software and started adding back the icons I had previously changed. Ringtones installed as well. I didn't have any problems.

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble others are having. What measures did you take when you updated your phone?
- downloaded the restore package via iTunes
- renamed it as a zip
- unzipped all files to a new location, in my case C:\iPhone101JB11
- copied the contents of jailbreak11 to the c:\iPhone101JB11
- ran jailbreak (jailbreak successfuly finds iPhone uploads first half of payload)
- perform hard reset of iPhone when Jailbreak alerts me to do so
- Jailbreak stalls, never reboots iPhone (this is the failure point)

don't know what else to do. This is infinately frustrating as it does seem to be working for some people. grrr.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
HOw you go about putting ringtones back on your phone?
Simple:

http://www.efksoft.com/products/iPhoneringtonemaker/index.htm

And when you use this tool, the updates to the iPhones OS don't erase your ringtones. Apple is actively looking for the use of Jailbreak when it does patches and erases everything by forcing a restore. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070801/tc_infoworld/90644_1;_ylt=Aqjnb1gwpubHzLCiD9i8U5IE1vAI) This isn't the case with the software above. My ringtones were spared and I didn't have to restore when I did the patch... not to mention you don't have to go through all the crazy stuff to get Jailbreak to work, with the software above you can create, edit and manage your MP3 ringtones then simply upload them to your phone with the push of a button.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Simple:

http://www.efksoft.com/products/iPhoneringtonemaker/index.htm

And when you use this tool, the updates to the iPhones OS don't erase your ringtones. Apple is actively looking for the use of Jailbreak when it does patches and erases everything by forcing a restore. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070801/tc_infoworld/90644_1;_ylt=Aqjnb1gwpubHzLCiD9i8U5IE1vAI) This isn't the case with the software above. My ringtones were spared and I didn't have to restore when I did the patch... not to mention you don't have to go through all the crazy stuff to get Jailbreak to work, with the software above you can create, edit and manage your MP3 ringtones then simply upload them to your phone with the push of a button.
Ok, this app is amazing. I just ran it, and BLAMMO.. ringtones back in down.

I will FULLY admit that I poopoo'd this when it was posted a few days ago thinking what others were saying, "why pay for something that's free"? But there is OBVIOUS value in a tool that works even when all others fail. Having access to the freedom of ringtones is definitely worth 10 bucks and my respect.

Respect to the coders that put this together. You just made my day!

WolfmanXII

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
California
had to do a restore on my mac but the mods still work fine. i just tried the ringtone after the update. im not gunna mess with the icons and carrier logo anymore. too risky for me from now on.