Can't regain signal...

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
this is a problem my bf is having.

He is in Kerrville visiting his mom. He charged his phone last night, but this morning the phone lost signal. It hasn't regained signal all day.

The strange thing is that his mom's iPhone works perfectly there.

Any ideas?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hmmm, that's a really weird instance. No one I know has another iPhone so I haven't been able to compare the signals if we are both in the same place, but the only thing I can suggest is to try a soft-restore (ie, holding down the 2 buttons until the iPhone restarts) and maybe the signal can be reached that way.

00vdub

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
i agree with the post above, or you could even just try turning the phone (holding the top button down for a few seconds, and then it will ask you to slide to shut the phone off) that might work as well.

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
he tried those 2 suggestions yesterday and it didn't do anything,

He tried to reset the phone last night but iTunes said he needs a signal before he can restore or update.

His phone is a virgin.(he hasn't installed any apps or ringtones... Its hack free)

00vdub

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Must be a bad one out of the box then IMO, I haven't gotten to goof around with them enough to tell you to try anything else. Have you tried resetting the settings? Not that that would help.... but it might!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
he tried those 2 suggestions yesterday and it didn't do anything,

He tried to reset the phone last night but iTunes said he needs a signal before he can restore or update.

His phone is a virgin.(he hasn't installed any apps or ringtones... Its hack free)

Ok just throwing this out there, but I'm 99.98% sure it's not the cause, but are you sure the iPhone isn't on Airplane mode? I really doubt it's that simple but it would be nice if it was. I would get to an Apple store and have a Genius look at it though because that could very well be a defective unit.

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
alright. He has his signal back.
its a stupid reason why it was cut off.

He pays his AT&T bill with autopay, but AT&T still sends a paper bill to the house we are currently bumming around in. Apparently since all the mail has been forwarded to another addy and tge AT&T bill somehow got sent back to their office saying the addy doesn't exist. So after getting 3 bills sent back they decided the account was inactive and shut the service off.

I wonder who the genius at AT&T decided to shut off a service without checking the payment history?
oh well.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Wow that really is an annoyance more than anything else. I would think that they would bettwe ensure that the billpayer was still an active customer. Ha, I think AT&T could definitely CALL him, it's free for them to call afterall.