Can't reset Phone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by woodbine, Oct 1, 2013.

1. woodbine

woodbine New Member

Hi I hope this is the correct thread?

I have just got a iPhone 4 from eBay, phone is gr8 but still got all sellers details and I cant reset as it asks for Apple ID which I don't know and he wont give ( which I do understand)
    can anyone help
    Thank you

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Plug the phone into your computer and in iTunes just do a restore. This will wipe out all of the old users stuff.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is it running iOS 7? Is it asking you to turn off Find My iPhone when you connect to iTunes? You can't restore it if it's on iOS 7 and he left Find My iPhone turned on.

Amazing how someone would sell their device with all their personal data still on it.

4. woodbine

woodbine New Member

I will try that now, and let you know,
    thank you

5. Muckcityjustin

Gold

This blows my mind as well. So many iPhone users that have zero clue to what happens with the device after they upgrade. My mother figured since she upgraded the old device was automatically wiped clean. She almost sold hers with all her info and pics still on it. I bet tons of eBay/craigslist sellers don't do a full wipe of a device before selling. They think popping out a sim car d does the trick..

Sent using iCafe app

6. woodbine

woodbine New Member

Hi I am having to download iTunes so I saw this! I am not sure if he left find my phone on or not how would I find it and if the phone is on IOS7 or not

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Go to Settings > General > About > Version. Does it say 7.x?

Go to Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone. Is it toggled on (green)?

8. woodbine

woodbine New Member

Yes to both!

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is a new 7.0 feature to deter theft. I've even tested this in DFU mode and I could not restore my phone until I logged out of Find My iPhone. The only way to log out is with the iCloud password. You are not going to be able to restore it and you won't be able to turn Find My iPhone off for his account. I would contact the seller and tell him you can't restore it since he failed to log out of Find My iPhone before selling it to you and request to return it. He could send it back to you after he does this or you could just return it. File a claim with eBay if he fails to respond. He did not make the phone accessible to you.

Another option is to get in direct contact with him and have him give you his iCloud password. You could then disable Find My iPhone and restore it like he should have done before sale, and then he could change his iCloud password to something new. I doubt he'll do this, but it's worth a try if he doesn't want you to return it or file a claim.

One last option is to contact Apple. It's possible that they can override this. 7.0 is pretty new so I'm not sure if that would work.

#9 Europa, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  10. woodbine

woodbine New Member

Thank you every one I will try to contact him again but he did not answer my last message,
    Thank you all again

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay. Good luck. Post back and let us know how it goes.

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Thanks again to @Europa. I obviously had forgotten about the new feature in iOS 7. Should have caught that when the OP was saying it was asking for a password.

13. woodbine

woodbine New Member

Hi, I just want to let you all know, I did threatened to take out a claim with eBay
    he emailed me his new phone number so I called him, Got his password over the phone, So all is good.
    One last question is there a quick way to copy contacts from old Motorola phone to iPhone 4?
    Thank you for all the help!

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Which phone is it? Is it a smartphone type device? The maybe software from Motorola that will allow you to save your contacts. OR do you have the contacts stored/synced/ etc... On a computer or via an online source such as gmail?

15. woodbine

woodbine New Member

No it is a real old one not smart, numbers on phone memory or sim!

16. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Motorola may have some type of export utility if it can be hooked up to a computer. Can the old device do email or any type of texting? You might be able to send them to your email that way, but it sounds like you're going to have to enter them manually more than likely.

17. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

And, check with your carrier. They may have the ability to transfer them from your old Sim (once you save them there) to your new iPhone Sim.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cool. I'm glad that worked out for you. Now all he has to do is change his password and everything is good.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Good for you! I can't believe he sold you an iPhone with that data still on it.

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

In this day and age, anything really still surprise you? Hahaha