Can't restore iPhone when downgrading?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Darth Veneficus

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Hello all,

I am in the process of downgrading my iPhone and everything went well. Except when I select the restore file after it extracts iTunes says that my phone can not be restored? Does anyone have any ideas of what I could be doing wrong? My iPhone is just sitting in recovery mode....

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Hello all,

I am in the process of downgrading my iPhone and everything went well. Except when I select the restore file after it extracts iTunes says that my phone can not be restored? Does anyone have any ideas of what I could be doing wrong? My iPhone is just sitting in recovery mode....
After it says that it should prompt you to restore and upgrade to 1.1.1 with the Yellow Triangle... at this point run WinSCP to manually boot your phone

Lucas7

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
Enough Already!

why don't some of you realize that the whole point of upgrades to iTunes and the phone, etc are there for a REASON. and FFS why do you feel the need to always try to get something for nothing, then whine on boards that you are SO suppressed and are being held back by "the man"

just stop already. enjoy the technology and quit bitching and whining!

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
why don't some of you realize that the whole point of upgrades to iTunes and the phone, etc are there for a REASON. and FFS why do you feel the need to always try to get something for nothing, then whine on boards that you are SO suppressed and are being held back by "the man"

just stop already. enjoy the technology and quit bitching and whining!
Why FLAME the OP? This thread is about somebody wishing to go back to 1.0.2 for whatever reason(s) they might have. Many people are in this category as they are not Apple "soldiers" and they wish to do things with their iPhones OTHER then Apple dictates. That is THEIR prerogative. "THINK DIFFERENT", remember? WHY do you and others like you, INSIST that everybody fall into "formation" and "compliance" with the exact same thinking as YOU have? Your input was of NO help here whatsoever, other then to insult and denegrade the OP. Find another thread to preach your "convictions".

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
so by using your "logic" I should only be a hacker to reply to posts?
That isn't what he said or even implied. What he was trying to get across was that whether a person's modification to the software on their phone meets your morale standards or not, providing a reply to a person's question that has no usable purpose other than to express your personal beliefs is not helpful and the original poster is still left with their initial question unanswered.

I for one agree with the majority of the people on this board. We are not renting this piece of hardware from Apple. I purchased this iPhone with no set contract from Apple. I paid Apple for their hardware only. I pay AT&T for a service that they provide me on my device. Since I own my device, just as I own my laptop, desktop computer, TV's, etc.. I should have the right to decide whether or not I wish to install compatible software on my device.

Imagine buying a laptop from Compaq and then after you own it, Compaq tells you that you can only run Compaq software on it and they are going to lock it down so you can't run anything else without their approval. Or in the case of the younger crowd, buy an Xbox from Microsoft and have them restrict the software you can play on it to only those games that they approve you to play. If you are renting the device from a company then I am 100% in agreement that they can restrict the use of the property they own. Apple does not own my iPhone, I paid for it.

Just my 2 cents...

Lucas7

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
That isn't what he said or even implied. What he was trying to get across was that whether a person's modification to the software on their phone meets your morale standards or not, providing a reply to a person's question that has no usable purpose other than to express your personal beliefs is not helpful and the original poster is still left with their initial question unanswered.

I for one agree with the majority of the people on this board. We are not renting this piece of hardware from Apple. I purchased this iPhone with no set contract from Apple. I paid Apple for their hardware only. I pay AT&T for a service that they provide me on my device. Since I own my device, just as I own my laptop, desktop computer, TV's, etc.. I should have the right to decide whether or not I wish to install compatible software on my device.

Imagine buying a laptop from Compaq and then after you own it, Compaq tells you that you can only run Compaq software on it and they are going to lock it down so you can't run anything else without their approval. Or in the case of the younger crowd, buy an Xbox from Microsoft and have them restrict the software you can play on it to only those games that they approve you to play. If you are renting the device from a company then I am 100% in agreement that they can restrict the use of the property they own. Apple does not own my iPhone, I paid for it.

Just my 2 cents...
yes, when you put it like that, I can see the point.....I wasn't trying to flame...was just venting.....my bad

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
so by using your "logic" I should only be a hacker to reply to posts?
First of all, I NEVER said any such thing. I merely pointed out that your reply served no HELPFUL purpose in this thread. There are NUMEROUS threads on this forum where the topic IS about voicing one's opinion regarding "to mod or not to mod" and/or where the discussion frequently migrates into bashing others who chose to mod their iPhones. Go THERE!

Secondly, the term you used "hacker" is really not what modding is all about anyway. Those who chose to mod their iPhones with 3rd party apps, are NO more "hackers" then you are when you put software on your PC. I realize Apple and some Apple zea lots would like to identify modders as "hackers", but this simply is just not the case.

Finally, what this thread IS about, is somebody looking for assistance in "upgrading" (and YES, I used the term "upgrading" deliberately) from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 for the purpose of using 3rd party apps.

Let's keep it on topic please.

Lucas7

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
First of all, I NEVER said any such thing. I merely pointed out that your reply served no HELPFUL purpose in this thread. There are NUMEROUS threads on this forum where the topic IS about voicing one's opinion regarding "to mod or not to mod" and/or where the discussion frequently migrates into bashing others who chose to mod their iPhones. Go THERE!

Secondly, the term you used "hacker" is really not what modding is all about anyway. Those who chose to mod their iPhones with 3rd party apps, are NO more "hackers" then you are when you put software on your PC. I realize Apple and some Apple zea lots would like to identify modders as "hackers", but this simply is just not the case.

Finally, what this thread IS about, is somebody looking for assistance in "upgrading" (and YES, I used the term "upgrading" deliberately) from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 for the purpose of using 3rd party apps.

Let's keep it on topic please.
you just don't get that you are doing the very thing you are chastising me for....

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Hello all,

I'm not sure which method you are using to "downgrade". But, here is a link that provides thorough instructions to do so:

http://iPhone.fiveforty.net/wiki/ind...1.1.1_to_1.0.2

Which method are you trying to use? Provide more details, please, and perhaps somebody here can reply with more specifics to resolve your issue.