Can't restore my iPhone 3G

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
I need help, I am so lost! I tried to Jailbreak my iPhone 3G, followed the directions and when It was restoring I got a Error Message....saying....The iPhone could not be restored Unknown error occurred (13) .....Someone PLEASE HELP! I am begging! Thanks

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Do you have a different computer you can try? Update iTunes to the newest version. If you have done that then try putting the iPhone into DFU mode by following these steps:
Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.
Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
Do you have a different computer you can try? Update iTunes to the newest version. If you have done that then try putting the iPhone into DFU mode by following these steps:
Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.
Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

I just tried that, and I got the same error message.....I think I am going to cry

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Did you try it on a different computer and try updating iTunes? Are you trying to restore using a custom firmware or just the stock 2.1 firmware?

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
any other things I should try? Oh yeah Thanks so much for helping me! You are AWESOME!
How are you jailbreaking? Try JB again. I would get an error like that when I would JB with one firmware version but then restore with another. For example you're JB 2.0 but trying to restore with 2.1. Make sure you're resoring to the same firmware you had just customized. That may not have made sense. Good luck anyway.

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
Did you try it on a different computer and try updating iTunes? Are you trying to restore using a custom firmware or just the stock 2.1 firmware?

I am just putting it in DFU mode and hooking it up to iTunes ( i just checked for up dates on that, and it says I am up to date on iTunes) and then I try to restore it on iTunes. I am doing it again right now and If this doenst work then I will try to do it on my other computer.
Have you done the Jailbreak thingy?
Thats when I started getting the problem, I read some web sites and followed these directions
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881
I got to where it tells me to hook my iPhone up to my iTunes and do the shift restore and all was good for a while, then It said it couldnt restore. Thats where alll this problem started....my son told me not to try it and I didn't listen now I have a useless iPhone!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well the good thing is that it's not entirely useless. Assuming we're unable to help you out you can go to Apple and they will that you've got an issue restoring and will hopefully be able to remedy the situation.

Are you working on a PC or a Mac?

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
Well the good thing is that it's not entirely useless. Assuming we're unable to help you out you can go to Apple and they will that you've got an issue restoring and will hopefully be able to remedy the situation.

Are you working on a PC or a Mac?

I am on Windows XP....I am not trying to be bitchy, sorry if I am, I am just freaking out.......Oh yeah I live in BFE Missouri, so we don't have an Apple store anywhere close....a ATT store is an hour away! LOL
BUt I heard that Apple wont help you if you have tried to Jailbreak your phone too!
THanks so much for putting up with me!

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
How are you jailbreaking? Try JB again. I would get an error like that when I would JB with one firmware version but then restore with another. For example you're JB 2.0 but trying to restore with 2.1. Make sure you're resoring to the same firmware you had just customized. That may not have made sense. Good luck anyway.

I don't know I am so Dumb on this kind of stuff....I just went to this site and followed direction...http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881
Thanks for your help!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I am on Windows XP....I am not trying to be bitchy, sorry if I am, I am just freaking out.......Oh yeah I live in BFE Missouri, so we don't have an Apple store anywhere close....a ATT store is an hour away! LOL
BUt I heard that Apple wont help you if you have tried to Jailbreak your phone too!
It's absolutely no trouble at all. You are correct in that Apple will not honor the warranty if the iPhone has been Jailbroken. However, since your error occurred during a restore then the Apple Genius most likely would not be able to tell that you attempted to Jailbreak it. It is possible they can tell but it depends on the Genius.

Have you tried going through all of the steps of the Jailbreak again?

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com

Ok just got the same error Message....I am going to go try it on my other computer......PLEASE WISH ME LUCK!

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
It's absolutely no trouble at all. You are correct in that Apple will not honor the warranty if the iPhone has been Jailbroken. However, since your error occurred during a restore then the Apple Genius most likely would not be able to tell that you attempted to Jailbreak it. It is possible they can tell but it depends on the Genius.

Have you tried going through all of the steps of the Jailbreak again?
My phone is on my other computer right now..but should I try all the steps for Jailbreaking even if my phone isn't working? I didn't get very far on it anyways...i got to where to was hooked up to iTunes and restoring(I guess)
then I got the error message and thats when I just tried to get my old iPhone back and now it wont let me.....I really do think I am going to cry or throw this thing!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My phone is on my other computer right now..but should I try all the steps for Jailbreaking even if my phone isn't working? I didn't get very far on it anyways...i got to where to was hooked up to iTunes and restoring(I guess)
then I got the error message and thats when I just tried to get my old iPhone back and now it wont let me.....I really do think I am going to cry or throw this thing!
I've been in the same boat as far as being exhausted by issues.

I would suggest trying all of the Jailbreak steps again. Since it isn't working if you restore normally through iTunes then I would try doing the entire Jailbreak process again.

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
I've been in the same position, frustrated with nothing working. For some reason one computer wouldn't work so I had to do it on another. I eventuall restored in iTunes so it was back to factory condition, then did the jailbreak process over again. It took many hours of feeling like I tried everything and then it just worked when I got the right computer. It must have been a usb port problem.

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
I've been in the same position, frustrated with nothing working. For some reason one computer wouldn't work so I had to do it on another. I eventuall restored in iTunes so it was back to factory condition, then did the jailbreak process over again. It took many hours of feeling like I tried everything and then it just worked when I got the right computer. It must have been a usb port problem.

Oh I hope you are right, it is on my other computer now! What should i do if this doesn't work?

Oct 27, 2008
Missouri
www.myspace.com
I've been in the same boat as far as being exhausted by issues.

I would suggest trying all of the Jailbreak steps again. Since it isn't working if you restore normally through iTunes then I would try doing the entire Jailbreak process again.

So if this don't work, then you think I should try to jailbreak it again, even though the screen is blank?
do u have Myspace Im?
would it be easier to chat on there?
If so find me.Blueyez1078