Can't see many in UK getting 3GS

Jun 11, 2009
Spoke to o2 last night and was told that uk o2 customers will have to honour their contracts. No early hand back deal will be available.
I got my 3g on launch day after standing in line and am now gutted that I won't be able to uprgade to the 3gs.
I could buy myself out of the contract but that would cost me about £250 and then I would have to still pay forthr new phone and take out a new contract which would leave me in the same problem next year if they bring out another iPhone which could potentialy be THE ONE with all kinds of bells and whistles.
The iPhone being what it is most people who would want or or be prepared to pay that much for a phone will have got the 3g which means in the uk at least a huge amount of 3g owners probably won't upgrade due to the cost. In 7 months when my contract is up I won't get a 3gs as I won't want to tie myself to an 18month contract if there could be a major upgrade six months away. So o2's and Apple's strategy means people who aren't prepared to pony up the best chunk of £500 per year are only ever going to get every other iPhone. Assuming they continue to bring out one per year.
A lot can happen in 12 months. I would have thought o2 and Apple would have wanted to tie me to their products for the longest possible time. Which they could have done by allowing us to hand back our phone and sign up for the new one locking us in for another 18months and then repeating the year later. Hell, if they did that I'd still be with em when I'm 90 or Apple brought out a bad phone.

May 18, 2008
I am not upgrading im going to wait no doubt there will be another iPhone next year the 3gs isn't really a big deal only true Apple followers and people who can afford to be ripped off will get it fair play to those who do. I will stick with my 3g i think the biggest deal is the upgrade of software. I have read that o2 are going to lose the contract with Apple and carphone warehouse are taking over so maybe a better deal in the future who knows time will tell :)

Jun 11, 2009
Not heard that about o2 losing the contract but who will carphone warehouse use as they aren't a cell network them selves?

I agree not a massive improvement in the 3gs (from 3g) but I would like the improved camera with video as I have a 9 month old daughter and my phone is the only camera I seem to have around when she does something adorable.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I just liooked at the O2 uk pricing on the 3Gs and if its that bad there I can only begin to imagine what the prices will be like here in Ireland. I think we'll be looking back at the V1 launch prices! OMG

I agree that the new OS is the main factor

May 18, 2008
Not heard that about o2 losing the contract but who will carphone warehouse use as they aren't a cell network them selves?

I agree not a massive improvement in the 3gs (from 3g) but I would like the improved camera with video as I have a 9 month old daughter and my phone is the only camera I seem to have around when she does something adorable.
I read this about 6/7 month ago so I'm not sure what to make of it if anything
O2s deal with Apple is believed to run until 2012. There is understood to be a window for renegotiation after two years and other operators are hopeful that Apple will have partnered with more than just one network by Christmas 2009.

There has been speculation that Orange - which has the iPhone exclusively in France under a three-year deal and also supplies it in a number of emerging markets - is looking to get its hands on the phone. The company, owned by France Télécom, came very close to being Apple's UK partner but was dumped in favour of O2 at the last minute.

BiGZeus

Sep 19, 2007
just wait and see when the phone is released and they don't sell any they will quickly rethink this madness plan and Apple will be hassling them becos this will hold back Apple from taking a bigger slice on the smartphone market ect + the money so just wait and see when the pressure mounts up

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I don't see what the big issue is really... Yes i am annoyed that I cant upgrade early for free / cheaper but we have to be realistic, we signed up for an 18 month contract! If you bought a new nokia and then they released a different model, there would not be this uproar about being able to renew early.

I will tell you the cheapest way to get the upgrade on o2. This is what i have done, as i have pre ordered the 3g on my girlfriends upgrade that is due, and she can have mine in October.

I got my 3g in July on an 18 month £45 per month contract. I am (and all iPhone 3g owners are, i think) a priority gold customer, which means you can upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract, which for me is October 30th (3 months before January 2010). You have 2 options, hold out until your due an upgrade in October (if you purchased your iPhone 3g in July) which will be free to upgrade, you only pay the price for the phone, or:

Call o2, after 9 months of an 18 month contract, you are eligible to reduce your contract by 1 band, meaning the £45 per month drops to £35 and the £35 drops to the £25. This takes 2 days to activate on your account. After this 2 days, call o2 for a cancellation figure, which will be significantly lower. An example based on my account:

my contract was £45 per month and ran until Jan - meaning i have 7 months of £45 to pay to cancel early = £315. After i have reduced my contract to £35 per month its 7 x £35 = £245. Saving 70. You can drop your price plan once per month, meaning you could go from the £45 per month to the £35 now, then from the £35 to the £25 in July. In July, you will have 6 months x £25 to pay to cancel early = £150.

If you sold your 3g now, even an 8gb one in good condition on ebay is selling for £260+. So you could cancel your contract, sign up for the new one £45 per month 18 month contract at £90 for the phone and still have money left over... Thats the cheapest way of upgrading early.

Hope this helps!

Jun 11, 2009
I hope your right big Zeus as the only people I can see getting a 3gs in the uk are brand new customers and the people prepared to pay a fortune only to have the same problem next year. And as I said before I won't upgrade in dec/jan as I'll be worse off six months later if they bring out a 4g

Jun 11, 2009
I don't dissagree with you crouched about the contract but I wanted an iPhone 14 months ago hung on for the upgrade and got one. I was aware of the 18 month contract and was unhappy about it as I always want the newer phone so have always avoided 18months contracts but alas at the time there was no other way to get an iPhone.
I suppose the big problem is for paople who want new kit there is no way with current business model to get it. The current model ensures that I will only buy every other iPhone unless I'm prepared to mess about in the manor you suggest.
(which I still might do)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
If you are scared of upgrading because you think a newer model will come out soon, then you will never upgrade anything. Technology is constantly being updated and improved. What you have to remember is with an iPhone you have a superb phone that is being constantly improved (as much as hardware permits).

The same will apply next year when a new one comes out. Sell your 3gs and get the new one! :)

Jun 11, 2009
I'm scared of many things but not getting a new phone isn't one of them. In the past I have had a new phone every year and avoided 18month contracts like the plague for that reason. For the last five or six years I've been working though the HTC family and if they brought out a better phone outside my upgrade time then so be it as they generaly had several upgrades throughtout the year.
With Apple doing just one phone per year it would be nice to have the option of a 12 month contract. I know it would be more expensive but that's all I'm saying. I may sell my 3g like you suggest I havnt decided but I would prefer it if in future years I wouldn't have to.