Can't seem to downgrade from 1.1.2

Wiggles

Dec 9, 2007
Hi there, I have a OOB UK iPhone running 1.1.2 and I'm trying to jailbreak it but to do that I have to downgrade to 1.1.1 which I'm having real problems doing.

I've read all the instructions, downloaded all the software I need to jailbreak it.

So when I try to upload the 1.1.1 firmware through iTunes while my iPhone is in recovery mode, I get a error message come saying 'The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (5).'

I should be getting the 1015 error but I'm not.
Am I doing something wrong, its just I've looked at loads of guides on the net, they all seem to say the same things yet I just can't seem to get it to work.

Please reply as soon as possible as this is doing my head in!
Many Thanks.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
What version of iTunes have you got? Windows or PC? I've done more than a dozen and never had that happen to me. Can you look at your 1.1.1 firmware restore.ipsw and see if that's not damaged?
It should be 152.3Mb big - iPhone1,1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

Wiggles

Dec 9, 2007
What version of iTunes have you got? Windows or PC? I've done more than a dozen and never had that happen to me. Can you look at your 1.1.1 firmware restore.ipsw and see if that's not damaged?
It should be 152.3Mb big - iPhone1,1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw
I'm running iTunes 7.5 on Windows Vista.
I think you maybe right, as I have a 150mb restore file for 1.1.1...I'll try downloading it from Apple and see if it works then.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
The - Getting the phone in DFU mode part is important. How are you getting the phone into restore mode? You do have to hold both buttons for 10 seconds or so - then release the top one and carry on holding the home button for a while. Takes a bit of practice.

Wiggles

Dec 9, 2007
The - Getting the phone in DFU mode part is important. How are you getting the phone into restore mode? You do have to hold both buttons for 10 seconds or so - then release the top one and carry on holding the home button for a while. Takes a bit of practice.
Done that, then while that is in restore mode I run the 1.1.1 firmware through iTunes by holding down the shift button and opening the 1.1.1 firmware.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Done that, then while that is in restore mode I run the 1.1.1 firmware through iTunes by holding down the shift button and opening the 1.1.1 firmware.
I don't think you're miles away then. When the iPhone is in restore mode. Is there anything on the iPhone's screen?

Maybe start again - do a natural restore to 1.1.2 - get it working again there, then start again with the downgrade.

Wiggles

Dec 9, 2007
Yes! Just redownloaded the firmware and its downgrading now!
I didn't notice the firmware had to be 152mb when the one that i had was damaged and at only 150mb.
Thank You! Just one question though, what is the worst that can come to my iPhone? Being bricked or something like that?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
You will struggle to brick a 1.1.2 out of the box. The baseband firmware can't be downgraded or erased like older versions so the phone is always recoverable using the method you're using.

You do hear stories of a few - but I've never come across one personally