Can't surf and turf on Verizon. Useless

tfalsetta

May 10, 2009
iPhone useless on Verizon. I just got a call from my daughter (iPhone on Verizon) and she wanted to know where she was so I simply said "hold on honey I will use find my phone and locate you" WRONG! Because you can't surf and talk at the same time on Verizon I could not locate her until she hung up. Switching to AT&T. I can't believe how bad the iPhone has made Verizon look. Picking CDMA was the worst choice Verizon ever made.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
What did we ever do before we could talk and surf at the same time. Oh my! Paper maps and pay phones. Crazy

tfalsetta

May 10, 2009
Yes. Interesting how spoiled we get isn't it.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I still have Pearly's in the car.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
iPhone useless on Verizon. I just got a call from my daughter (iPhone on Verizon) and she wanted to know where she was so I simply said "hold on honey I will use find my phone and locate you" WRONG! Because you can't surf and talk at the same time on Verizon I could not locate her until she hung up. Switching to AT&T. I can't believe how bad the iPhone has made Verizon look. Picking CDMA was the worst choice Verizon ever made.
This is a CDMA thing, not an iPhone thing. Just to be clear.

I never realized how useful simultaneous data and voice could be until I didn't have it. With AT&T I would be talking to a client on my BlackBerry and in the middle of the conversation he'd email me a document. I would put him on speaker, open the document, and we could discuss it right then and there. It's a big adjustment for me.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
This is a huge feature for AT&T. I Surf & Talk at least once a day. And for those long, boring conference calls, it allows me time to catch up on the eiC.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I know there are probably circumstances specific to your daughter's phone setup, but I'm curious... If your daughter wanted to know where she was, and she called you to find out, why didn't she just locate herself on maps? Obviously she has a GPS chip on her phone, since you offered to locate her...

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
You can "surf and turf" only if you're using WiFi at the time for data. I still much prefer the GSM feature of simultaneous voice and data over the cellular network, but alas, we Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. I had hoped that the fact that the 4s is a world phone might make it possible to get voice and data together but you cannot use both protocols at the same time. Bummer.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
All things being equal as far as signal strength goes AT&T is the only way to go for simultaneous talk and data. If you've never had the feature it isn't a big deal, but it is when you're used to having it. My company issued Blackberry is through Verizon so I use my personal AT&T iPhone all the time if I need to check something when I'm on a call on the BB.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That is one of four reasons why I stick with AT&T even though their nationwide coverage isn't as good.

1. Rollover minutes. I'm on the lowest minutes plan and I've accrued nearly 4,000 in the past 3 years.
2. Significantly faster data speeds.
3. The upgrade eligibility dates are sooner.
4. Simultaneous voice and 3G data.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
That is one of four reasons why I stick with AT&T even though their nationwide coverage isn't as good.

1. Rollover minutes. I'm on the lowest minutes plan and I've accrued nearly 4,000 in the past 3 years.
Only one I'd disagree with you on. Very location specific.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20030274-233.html

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Here's some more reasons I like AT&T...

5. No outages--three, no less--in a single month, and then denial, saying it was only 4G, not 3G.

6. No $2 fee for certain very common ways of paying your bill beginning January.

Still don't agree with AT&T's text plan rates, but then again, the other carriers aren't doing that much better.

Sent from your momma.

Hyphy510

Jan 9, 2012
Yeah u can just not on 3 g . That why people need to upgrade to Android instead of staying old technology . On LTE u can surf and talk . I have the thunderbolt even when on 3 g as long as u have LTE capable devise .

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yeah u can just not on 3 g . That why people need to upgrade to Android instead of staying old technology . On LTE u can surf and talk . I have the thunderbolt even when on 3 g as long as u have LTE capable devise .
You do know you're on an iPhone forum, right? Just checking...