Can't surf and turf on Verizon. Useless

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tfalsetta, Dec 17, 2011.

1. tfalsetta

tfalsetta New Member

iPhone useless on Verizon. I just got a call from my daughter (iPhone on Verizon) and she wanted to know where she was so I simply said "hold on honey I will use find my phone and locate you" WRONG! Because you can't surf and talk at the same time on Verizon I could not locate her until she hung up. Switching to AT&T. I can't believe how bad the iPhone has made Verizon look. Picking CDMA was the worst choice Verizon ever made.

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

What did we ever do before we could talk and surf at the same time. Oh my! Paper maps and pay phones. Crazy

3. tfalsetta

tfalsetta New Member

Yes. Interesting how spoiled we get isn't it.

4. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I still have Pearly's in the car.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

5. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sad is more like it. Look how dumbed down kids are now. Can't do basic math or have proper English skills.

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Exanple A. ⬅

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

What's math and English skills got to do with Verizon?

8. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

This is a CDMA thing, not an iPhone thing. Just to be clear.

I never realized how useful simultaneous data and voice could be until I didn't have it. With AT&T I would be talking to a client on my BlackBerry and in the middle of the conversation he'd email me a document. I would put him on speaker, open the document, and we could discuss it right then and there. It's a big adjustment for me.

9. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

This is a huge feature for AT&T. I Surf & Talk at least once a day. And for those long, boring conference calls, it allows me time to catch up on the eiC.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I know there are probably circumstances specific to your daughter's phone setup, but I'm curious... If your daughter wanted to know where she was, and she called you to find out, why didn't she just locate herself on maps? Obviously she has a GPS chip on her phone, since you offered to locate her...

11. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

You can "surf and turf" only if you're using WiFi at the time for data. I still much prefer the GSM feature of simultaneous voice and data over the cellular network, but alas, we Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. I had hoped that the fact that the 4s is a world phone might make it possible to get voice and data together but you cannot use both protocols at the same time. Bummer.

12. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

All things being equal as far as signal strength goes AT&T is the only way to go for simultaneous talk and data. If you've never had the feature it isn't a big deal, but it is when you're used to having it. My company issued Blackberry is through Verizon so I use my personal AT&T iPhone all the time if I need to check something when I'm on a call on the BB.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That is one of four reasons why I stick with AT&T even though their nationwide coverage isn't as good.

1. Rollover minutes. I'm on the lowest minutes plan and I've accrued nearly 4,000 in the past 3 years.
    2. Significantly faster data speeds.
    3. The upgrade eligibility dates are sooner.
    4. Simultaneous voice and 3G data.

14. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Only one I'd disagree with you on. Very location specific.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20030274-233.html

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's some more reasons I like AT&T...

5. No outages--three, no less--in a single month, and then denial, saying it was only 4G, not 3G.

6. No $2 fee for certain very common ways of paying your bill beginning January.

Still don't agree with AT&T's text plan rates, but then again, the other carriers aren't doing that much better.

Sent from your momma.

16. Hyphy510

Hyphy510 New Member

Yeah u can just not on 3 g . That why people need to upgrade to Android instead of staying old technology . On LTE u can surf and talk . I have the thunderbolt even when on 3 g as long as u have LTE capable devise .

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You do know you're on an iPhone forum, right? Just checking...