Can't sync/backup since updating firmware

Aug 1, 2011
Since updating to iOS v.4.3.3, I seem to be caught in an "enginneered obsolescence" hell, and can't figure out how to backup or sync my iPhone. When I connect the iPhone to my 4 year-old MacBook OSX 10.4.11, running iTunes 9, it says, "iTunes 10 required". When I try to download iTunes 10, it says, "OSX 10.5 required". When I try to download any newer OSX it says a newer computer is required.

Are you #@*&ing serious? Is Apple really that EVIL?!?

Are they really requiring me to buy a new laptop just for the technical ability to continue backing up my iPhone? The MacBook is only 3 years older than the iPhone, works perfectly, and I have NO interest in spending $1,000s of dollars to replace it anytime soon. There MUST be some way around this so that I can keep my MacBook and continue to backup my iPhone. PLEASE HELP!

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
In short yes. Apple can control what software you have on your mac. And if it won't run on your MacBook. Tough luck in afraid. Sorry

Aug 1, 2011
Wow, I'm astonished and dismayed to hear that. If they design these to stop performing key functions within four years, then my next computer (the one that will run iTunes 10 or later) will definitely NOT be a Mac.

Aug 1, 2011
Is there any other way to get the photos/videos off my phone (other than email/MMS each one), and to copy my address book? Those are the two things I most want to back up.

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
I'm not entirely sure this will work for you, but you could try simply connecting it to a PC running Windows 7. Windows 7 will recognize it as another hard drive basically give you access to your photos and videos. The folder resembles the one you would see when you connect you camera to a PC.
Anyway, you can just drag the photos/videos to a folder on the PC and you're good to go.
This is one of the reason why I use Windows instead of OSX.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

lesli

Jan 8, 2011
To transfer pics download wifi photo. You don't even have to plug it in. Not sure about videos.