Can't sync j/b 1.1.3 phone---2.8Gb in 'other'

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
After my jailbreak, iTunes shows 2.80Gb in the 'other' category with only 711Mb free space, so I can't sync because there is not enough space. How can I delete the files to get space back? I tried the fix on installer, but it wouldn't install (main script execution failed ). I now have an empty iPhone, with only contacts stored. Help is appreciated!

AppleSVT

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Use openssh to browse to and delete any unnecessary files...sorry i cant provide more info, never had to do anything like that.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I'm not sure why you're showing so much bloat in the "other" section of your available space. One thing that comes to mind is the migration of files from Mobile to Root or vice versa depending on which JB you used didn't' clean out what it left behind in the parent folder that the files were moved from.

Ideally, you should have around 2 megs available on your OS partition after a successful Jailbreak. Symlinking your Apps/Fonts/Ringtones can free up to 86 megs on the OS partition once done.

If you can SSH into your phone, look in /private/var/root/media to see whats there, then have a look at /private/var/mobile/media and see if the same data is in that folder. If so, that may explain where some of your space is going. The tricky part is figuring out which set of files to delete if thats the case.

Lastly, as much as I wouldn't wish this on anyone, you may find a more reliable solution by just restoring to a stock 1.1.3 and then going through the downgrade process to 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2 -> 1.1.3.

John started a thread for doing this on Mac, and its not much different on a PC at all. You may want to give it a gander, I "live blogged" my Jailbreak process, from downgrade and back. I ran into some snags but was able to resolve them. This was my 2nd attempt at JBing 1.1.3 btw, so it's not like you're doing anything wrong, the JBs just seem a little iffy at the moment.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm not sure why you're showing so much bloat in the "other" section of your available space. One thing that comes to mind is the migration of files from Mobile to Root or vice versa depending on which JB you used didn't' clean out what it left behind in the parent folder that the files were moved from.

Ideally, you should have around 2 megs available on your OS partition after a successful Jailbreak. Symlinking your Apps/Fonts/Ringtones can free up to 86 megs on the OS partition once done.

If you can SSH into your phone, look in /private/var/root/media to see whats there, then have a look at /private/var/mobile/media and see if the same data is in that folder. If so, that may explain where some of your space is going. The tricky part is figuring out which set of files to delete if thats the case.

Lastly, as much as I wouldn't wish this on anyone, you may find a more reliable solution by just restoring to a stock 1.1.3 and then going through the downgrade process to 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2 -> 1.1.3.

John started a thread for doing this on Mac, and its not much different on a PC at all. You may want to give it a gander, I "live blogged" my Jailbreak process, from downgrade and back. I ran into some snags but was able to resolve them. This was my 2nd attempt at JBing 1.1.3 btw, so it's not like you're doing anything wrong, the JBs just seem a little iffy at the moment.
I can ssh into the phone, I'll give it a try when I get off of work tonight. I didn't use the latest j/b method, nor did I try it on my mac, so if I have to I'll do that. Thanks for your advice!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Try SSH; I did it earlier and my 'Other' has shrunk down significantly. By the way, use Cyberduck. It seems to be the best client.

- John

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I found a bunch of music (iPhone said no music was in phone) in root/private/var/mobile/media_sym/media/iTunes_control/music. Plus the videos I took using the 'stolen' video capture app. I had uninstalled that app, but the vids remained in a folder called 'stolen'. Now I have 2 gigs free, but I still need to find some more space to liberate.

edit: there were 2 music folders containing over a gig each of music. I deleted them and got back to 3.1 gigs out of 3.5.

AppleSVT

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Try SSH; I did it earlier and my 'Other' has shrunk down significantly. By the way, use Cyberduck. It seems to be the best client.

- John
Just thought i would mention the fact that i LOVE cyberduck...hands down greatest app on my macs

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
is cyberduck similar to winscp for the pc?
Basically the same, except I don't think it has a Native Terminal window like WinSCP. Not that you need one on Mac, but it'd be nice if it at least had a button to launch the Mac's terminal window :T