Can't type certain keys?

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I'm on 1.1.3 and I have jailbroken my phone with apps. I noticed while texting today, that if you use a combination of characters, you are unable to type certain ones. For instance type "Ghou" like you were typing Ghoul, but try to enter "k" instead of "l" at the end. Even if you hold your finger down you are unable to select k. This happens with other letters as well.

Anyone seen this? I mean what happens if I want to type Ghouk :p

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I'm on 1.1.3 and I have jailbroken my phone with apps. I noticed while texting today, that if you use a combination of characters, you are unable to type certain ones. For instance type "Ghou" like you were typing Ghoul, but try to enter "k" instead of "l" at the end. Even if you hold your finger down you are unable to select k. This happens with other letters as well.

Anyone seen this? I mean what happens if I want to type Ghouk :p
when typing the word ghoul I had no problems. Sorry I am not having this issue.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
when typing the word ghoul I had no problems. Sorry I am not having this issue.
Not Ghoul, I mean putting a k instead of the l at the end. Or is that what you did? Also, I did this while doing a text message. What version is your phone and is it jailbroken?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Not Ghoul, I mean putting a k instead of the l at the end. Or is that what you did? Also, I did this while doing a text message. What version is your phone and is it jailbroken?
ghouk, when typing if autocorrect tries to correct a word while you are typing it will show the corrected word with an x beside it. If you don't want to use that correction just tap the x and it will disappear.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
ghouk, when typing if autocorrect tries to correct a word while you are typing it will show the corrected word with an x beside it. If you don't want to use that correction just tap the x and it will disappear.
No, you have to type in the l, and then backspace. It doesn't autocorrect until you enter a letter after the ou.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I think I see what you are talking about
now. When you try to type ghouk it won't let you type the k, it makes the l button so large that you can't hit the k. (on this keyboard certain
areas of the keyboard expand and shrink without you seeing it, making typing with the
keyboard easier. But in this case the L buttons response area must be so large it
covers up the K.) that's my only guess. Turn in your finding to
Apple and see how many updates it takes before they remedy the problem.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This has been discussed numerous times before (though it's a hard subject to search for)

The iPhone will eliminate certain keys from being able to be typed in order to make the "target area" for surrounding letters larger and easier to hit. It does this by assuming that "ghouk" isn't a word and enlarging the area for the "l" because "ghoul" is a word. It's different than autocorrect.... sort of a pre-emptive version. Unfortunately, there is no way to "teach" this autocorrecter. Just the way it is.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
such an annoyance, this feature is, really.

well.. that's kind of a lie.

its good too.

but I have NEVER been able to type ZiPhone without getting pissed off. it always makes it ZiPhine or Ziphpne.

and look at my sig. I have to use that word a lot.

>_<