Can't uninstall wallpaper fix

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
I installed Fix: iApp-a-Day wallpaper. It didn't fix the wallpaper app and now it won't uninstall. No biggie, but any suggestions? it reads "main script execution failed":(

bean22

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I had the exact same thing. x999x (it's his fix) told me how to manually uninstall it through WinSCP, but it was a pretty long process so i just left it installed. Like you said, it's not hurting anything anyway.

BTW, i don't know if you already fixed Wallpaper.app yourself, but if you haven't, just SSH into your phone and set the permissions on the Wallpaper.app to 0777. I did that and the wallpapers now save to my wallpaper library.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I installed Fix: iApp-a-Day wallpaper. It didn't fix the wallpaper app and now it won't uninstall. No biggie, but any suggestions? it reads "main script execution failed":(
Did you by any chance uninstall the Wallpaper app before you uninstalled my "fix"?

You may need to reinstall the wallpaper app, and then uninstall my fix. I will look at the code to see if theres a way I can check if Wallpaper.app is uninstalled before I uninstall uninstall the fix, also add a check to just delete the Installer entry if you end up stuck like you and Bean22 did.

I can get you sorted out, I just need to know what you did to run into this problem.

----

Here is the Uninstall code, all I'm doing is setting the permissions back, and deleting a folder symlink I created earlier:

<array>
<string>Notice</string>
<string>Your Media Folder Permissions have been restored to 775.</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>Exec</string>
<string>/bin/chmod -R 775 /var/mobile/Media/DCIM</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>Exec</string>
<string>/bin/chmod -R 775 /Library/Wallpaper</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>Exec</string>
<string>/bin/rm /var/root/Media/DCIM</string>
</array>

----

One of the only things I can think of is that you might not have BSD Subsystem installed, and the Uninstall phase is choking up when it gets the the exec part, /bin/rm <-- may be missing, its part of the BSD Subsystem.

The thing I can't figure out though, is that to install this fix I already check for the BSD Subsystem. Is it possible you removed that since you last installed this "fix?"

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Worse come to worse, I'll post instructions on how to manually edit your Installer list so my entry doesn't show up.

A better solution is if you can log into your iPhone and browse to /var/mobile/Library/Installer and locate the LocalPackages.plist file. Download that to your computer, zip it up and attach it to your post. I'll look through it to see why you're getting stuck, and add the fix to my Installer Source. I'll also remove my entry manually and repost the LocalPackages.plist file for you. Just upload it back to your phone and you won't see "Fix: Wallpaper" in your uninstall screen.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
Did you by any chance uninstall the Wallpaper app before you uninstalled my "fix"?

You may need to reinstall the wallpaper app, and then uninstall my fix. I will look at the code to see if theres a way I can check if Wallpaper.app is uninstalled before I uninstall uninstall the fix, also add a check to just delete the Installer entry if you end up stuck like you and Bean22 did.

I can get you sorted out, I just need to know what you did to run into this problem.

----

Here is the Uninstall code, all I'm doing is setting the permissions back, and deleting a folder symlink I created earlier:

<array>
<string>Notice</string>
<string>Your Media Folder Permissions have been restored to 775.</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>Exec</string>
<string>/bin/chmod -R 775 /var/mobile/Media/DCIM</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>Exec</string>
<string>/bin/chmod -R 775 /Library/Wallpaper</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>Exec</string>
<string>/bin/rm /var/root/Media/DCIM</string>
</array>

----

One of the only things I can think of is that you might not have BSD Subsystem installed, and the Uninstall phase is choking up when it gets the the exec part, /bin/rm <-- may be missing, its part of the BSD Subsystem.

The thing I can't figure out though, is that to install this fix I already check for the BSD Subsystem. Is it possible you removed that since you last installed this "fix?"
I don't remember which one I uninstalled first, but it didn't fix my problem anyway. That's such a long process that I will just lesve it. Plus I'm not that famiiar with the process to mess with it. Thanks for the input, but until there's a simple fix, I'm stuck. No problem BTW I do have BSD installed. :(:oops:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I don't remember which one I uninstalled first, but it didn't fix my problem anyway. That's such a long process that I will just lesve it. Plus I'm not that famiiar with the process to mess with it. Thanks for the input, but until there's a simple fix, I'm stuck. No problem BTW I do have BSD installed. :(:oops:
Okay, well I do know of a very dirty way of doing this that would automate most of the work on your end, but I'd need to test it out on my iPhone before I feel comfortable asking you to try.

What I would do is create a special isntaller package for you, that when installed will take your /var/mobile/Library/LocalPackages.plist file and move it to /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE folder, which is your digital camera folder that pops up when you dock your iPhone (you're on PC right?) Anyway, you'd just browse that folder from your PC and look for the picture with my custom icon, it will be named IMG_0999.JPG. Drag and drop it onto your Desktop, then zip it up and attach it to your post.

I'll rename back to LocalPackages.plist, and look at whats going wrong. I'll post my changes to a special Installer URL for you, and when installed it will replace your LocalPackages.plist file with the wallpaper fix entry removed.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
Okay, well I do know of a very dirty way of doing this that would automate most of the work on your end, but I'd need to test it out on my iPhone before I feel comfortable asking you to try.

What I would do is create a special isntaller package for you, that when installed will take your /var/mobile/Library/LocalPackages.plist file and move it to /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE folder, which is your digital camera folder that pops up when you dock your iPhone (you're on PC right?) Anyway, you'd just browse that folder from your PC and look for the picture with my custom icon, it will be named IMG_0999.JPG. Drag and drop it onto your Desktop, then zip it up and attach it to your post.

I'll rename back to LocalPackages.plist, and look at whats going wrong. I'll post my changes to a special Installer URL for you, and when installed it will replace your LocalPackages.plist file with the wallpaper fix entry removed.
I guess I have to try it that way. Thanks

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I guess I have to try it that way. Thanks
Alright, I have posted a special Installer Source for you that will Copy your LocalPackages.plist to your Digital Camera folder as an Image.

Now depending on what you use, a Mac or PC, you just dock your iPhone with your computer and go about getting this image onto your desktop: IMG_0999.JPG.

On Mac just use Image Capture, and then select "Download Some" and browse to the special Image I put on your phone. Save that image some place you can find it, and then zip it up, compress, and upload it to your post as an attachment if it will fit. If it wont, just use a free host like rapidshare.com, or sendspace.com, upload that zip there and put that URL into your post for me.

On PC just dock your iPhone, close the little window that pops up to copy the pictures, and just goto My Computer. Look for your iPhone in the list and open it. Browse down to IMG_0999.JPG and just drag and drop it onto your desktop. Use the same steps described above to send that file my way.

I'll download it and rename it back to LocalPackages.plist and edit it for you, on top of trying to figure out what went wrong. When done I'll post Step 2 of the fix to your source, and then we'll be home free.

In the meantime, Uninstall this Fix right after you copy the files to your computer. Don't delete the picture on your iPhone using your computer, I'll remove it when you uninstall the fix.

Your source is: http://dezign999.com/jjsquizz

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
Alright, I have posted a special Installer Source for you that will Copy your LocalPackages.plist to your Digital Camera folder as an Image.

Now depending on what you use, a Mac or PC, you just dock your iPhone with your computer and go about getting this image onto your desktop: IMG_0999.JPG.

On Mac just use Image Capture, and then select "Download Some" and browse to the special Image I put on your phone. Save that image some place you can find it, and then zip it up, compress, and upload it to your post as an attachment if it will fit. If it wont, just use a free host like rapidshare.com, or sendspace.com, upload that zip there and put that URL into your post for me.

On PC just dock your iPhone, close the little window that pops up to copy the pictures, and just goto My Computer. Look for your iPhone in the list and open it. Browse down to IMG_0999.JPG and just drag and drop it onto your desktop. Use the same steps described above to send that file my way.

I'll download it and rename it back to LocalPackages.plist and edit it for you, on top of trying to figure out what went wrong. When done I'll post Step 2 of the fix to your source, and then we'll be home free.

In the meantime, Uninstall this Fix right after you copy the files to your computer. Don't delete the picture on your iPhone using your computer, I'll remove it when you uninstall the fix.

Your source is: http://dezign999.com/jjsquizz
I got the image on my desktop, deleted the fix. Now what? You've gone above and beyond on this one , my friend, and I thank you deeply. Plus I'm learning a LITTLE something.:laugh2:

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Zip that file up and upload it to a site like sendspace.com or rapidshare. Post the link and I'll download it to solve your problem. U can rename the .jpg to .txt to see what's inside, its pretty neat what u can do through installer!

Once I edit that file for you, I'll post Step 2 of the fix to your source, which will remove the wallpaper fix from showing up.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
Zip that file up and upload it to a site like sendspace.com or rapidshare. Post the link and I'll download it to solve your problem. U can rename the .jpg to .txt to see what's inside, its pretty neat what u can do through installer!

Once I edit that file for you, I'll post Step 2 of the fix to your source, which will remove the wallpaper fix from showing up.
I just had my wife look and I don't have a zip program on my laptop. It's a PC. She's a lot more adept at this than I.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I just had my wife look and I don't have a zip program on my laptop. It's a PC. She's a lot more adept at this than I.
If you're on XP just right click the file and look for "Send To: Compressed Folder"

Also, you could just upload that file as it is to rapidshare.com or sendspace.com. I gotta get that file from ya somehow.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
If you're on XP just right click the file and look for "Send To: Compressed Folder"

Also, you could just upload that file as it is to rapidshare.com or sendspace.com. I gotta get that file from ya somehow.[/quote

Vista. But It didn't make a difference. I got and it's on Rapidshare

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Vista. But It didn't make a difference. I got and it's on Rapidshare
Could you paste the link here so I could download it?

They usually show you a page with the link to share the file once you upload it.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
:http://rapidshare.de/files/38729576/IMG_0999.JPG.html I tell you, I'm learning as we go. You are a very patient person and I owe you BIG!
Alcohol, makin' ugly girls pretty since 1100 BC.

Anyhow, I checked out your Installer file and I see what happened now. You've got the 1.1.3 version installed, which I can't seem to wrap my head around since Installer won't let you install 1.1.3 apps on 1.1.4 if it fails the firmware check. If you used one of those programs that lets you install 1.1.3 apps in 1.1.4 before I could update my Wallpaper fix, this may explain things.

Anyway, refresh your sources, I put step 2 up for you in Installer. Install it, then uninstall it, and exit installer. Go back to installer once your phone restarts and you'll see the wallpaper entry gone. :)

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles

Anyhow, I checked out your Installer file and I see what happened now. You've got the 1.1.3 version installed, which I can't seem to wrap my head around since Installer won't let you install 1.1.3 apps on 1.1.4 if it fails the firmware check. If you used one of those programs that lets you install 1.1.3 apps in 1.1.4 before I could update my Wallpaper fix, this may explain things.

Anyway, refresh your sources, I put step 2 up for you in Installer. Install it, then uninstall it, and exit installer. Go back to installer once your phone restarts and you'll see the wallpaper entry gone. :)
Okay. The wallpaper entry is gone, but the fix still won't uninstall. No big deal. What can I do to use the wallpaper app?

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles

Do u have any idea where the customize fix is?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Okay. The wallpaper entry is gone, but the fix still won't uninstall. No big deal. What can I do to use the wallpaper app?
Are you on 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, and are you using my new source URL? http://dezign999.com/repo ? That has the 1.1.4 wallpaper fix, everything is updated for 1.1.4.

Your Plist file I fixed had the install for 1.1.3, which I would assume means you're on 1.1.3 right? If you're on 1.1.4, do you remember installing anything that said it was a patch to allow you to install 1.1.3 applications in 1.1.4? If you have that, try uninstalling it and then try installing my wallpaper fix.

Your iPhone needs to be saying its on 1.1.4 for my stuff to install, if you used that 1.1.3 patch this is definitely your problem. I host my own 1.1.3 <-> 1.1.4 patch, and I make it very clear to uninstall it once you're done using it because of the quirks like this that are bound to spring up.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Do u have any idea where the customize fix is?
Sorry I don't use Customize, so I've never really investigated any fixes. I searched around online once and they all sounded really hit or miss anyway.