Can't Update On iPhone

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Since 2.1, I can't update my apps through my iPhone. When the update comes up on my iPhone, and I tap on it, and where the update button usually is it says "INSTALLED" and there is no button to tap. I wonder if Apple has disabled updating through the iPhone for now? Or is it just an actual bug?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, you should still be able to do that. I would try a settings reset, and if that doesn't work, a restore.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks I'll try that. The only reason I posted this is because it has happened to me several times now

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, that's definitely weird and post-worthy. Let us know how it goes for you...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
It's happened to me recently with Dictaphone. I ended up deleting the app on my iPhone, and reinstalling it via the app store. App store is dumb enough to not ask you pay for the same app twice.

What was Steve-o thinking!

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I was having problems updating my apps, the only way I could get them to update was to get the update from iTunes on my pc, then delete the app off of the phone and sync. This erased all saved data from the app though, very frustrating.

The fix? A simple restore did the trick, I have no problems updating anymore.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
A simple reboot did the trick this time around. (Duh)

I'm sure it'll happen again, though. I've been also updating through my iTunes only up until today. Funny, I don't have any problems installing NEW apps on my iPhone - only the updates seem to give me problems.

I'd hate to restore.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I'd hate to restore.

It's not a big deal, takes 20-30 minutes. It's really easy, the only annoying part is moving all your icons back to where they were. Seriously though, the restore is nothing to fear....

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's not a big deal, takes 20-30 minutes. It's really easy, the only annoying part is moving all your icons back to where they were. Seriously though, the restore is nothing to fear....
Yeah, I've had to restore once. I had the silver Apple logo of death. And I had to restore as new, since my restore of backup didn't work. My friend later told me that I should have restored as new first and then restored the backup and it would have been fine. This was after I manually put all my settings back into place already. :p

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
This is currently happening to me with an app. Is there available as an update but it won't let me update saying is "INSTALLED". I guess I will do it through iTunes.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Sometimes it doesn't let me update an app via iPhone if the update is too large. Maybe that's what the problem is.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sometimes it doesn't let me update an app via iPhone if the update is too large. Maybe that's what the problem is.
No - when that happens there is a popup and I've had that before as well.

This other problem is different and obviously only a small bunch of us have been experiencing it.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
This is currently happening to me with an app. Is there available as an update but it won't let me update saying is "INSTALLED". I guess I will do it through iTunes.
I had that happen to me as well. I just waited a few hours and tried again.

acedj1

Jul 2, 2007
Same here

I'm having the same issue. I've downloaded several apps straight to the phone. Three of them need updating, but each time I try it give me some error message about not being connected to the iTunes store? (also the handy update all button seems to have disappeared!).

After several syncs the apps haven't shown up yet in my iTunes apps folder (I'm sure they used to sync both ways) so i cant even update them in there.

You think a restore will sort this out?

stapes

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I'm having the same issue. I've downloaded several apps straight to the phone. Three of them need updating, but each time I try it give me some error message about not being connected to the iTunes store? (also the handy update all button seems to have disappeared!).

After several syncs the apps haven't shown up yet in my iTunes apps folder (I'm sure they used to sync both ways) so i cant even update them in there.

You think a restore will sort this out?

I wasn't able to update apps via my iPhone nor iTunes unless I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Loosing all my data was a pain in the ace so I did a restore and now I'm able to update my apps with no problem using iTunes.

acedj1

Jul 2, 2007
so I did a restore and now I'm able to update my apps with no problem using iTunes.
Did you lose the apps you had downloaded to your phone during the restore?
I think a couple of mine were freebies that I may need to pay for now to reload.

stapes

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I think a couple of mine were freebies that I may need to pay for now to reload.
All of the apps that show up in my iTunes apps folder were still there after completing the restore. Meaning I didn't loose any apps after restoring the phone. How ever when I was using 2.0 I had apps on my phone that I downloaded via my iPhone. For some reason a few of those apps wouldn't sync to my iTunes app folder. Even after doing a "check for purchases". After doing a restore on my phone I lost those apps and had to re download them.... but I didn't have to pay for anything since the app store remembered I had already downloaded those apps.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008

you won't ever get charged twice for an app you paid for