Capacitive touch calibration?

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Faulty Capcacitive touch?

I truly apologize if this has been asked and answered but I searched both the iPhone 4 and Verizon iPhone 4 threads and I cannot find anything on this.

I am noticing what appears to be a calibration issue with the capacitive touch areas on the upper part of the screen. A good way to see what I mean is to get an App like CNET News...

If you look at the scroll bar (Top News, Webware, Crave, etc...) in the pic below, you will see a red line separating the scroll bar from the white body below it. Normally I would expect to tap a "box" in the scroll bar to select my topic. What I am noticing is that my finger tip needs to make contact with the red line at the base of the scroll bar to open the topic instead of the topic itself.

cnet.jpg

I will also notice in Safari, if I type something in the search box (Google) that if I try to select the top item offered in the drop down, that it puts cursor back in the search bar again. This only happens at the top of the screen...anywhere else like typing in the keyboard is spot on. Its almost like the touch points are slightly "off".

That is the best way I can explain it and I hope it makes sense! :eek:;)

I guess I am wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so, is it "normal" or may I possibly have a display issue?

Thanks everyone!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
That happens to me in safari sometimes but only when I get impatient a don't wait for the page to fully load 100% before I press a link or edit a field.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Could be a calibration issue, or a finger touch angle (the center point that it determines as the touch contact to send to the UI can vary depending on how much and which part of your finger is touching). Check and see if it happens with other phones too, or just show this to an employee at the Apple Genius Bar

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Thanks Fury!

I will give that a shot...Fortunately it is such a rare issue (if you can call it that) that if it proves to be "normal", I can live with it!