CaptCase: New case funded through Kickstarter

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Josh Yates, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I wanted to post about the new CaptCase that is scheduled to be shipped in early May. I backed this case and will post pics along with a review here once it arrives. This is a new wallet-style case that has some interesting features. It will be available for the iPhone 5, 4S & 4.

In the meantime, check out their site here: www.captcase.com. What's your impressions after seeing it online? I'm curious to know!

Sent using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Did you ever receive your case?

3. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I did...I'll post some pics and my impressions later today.

Sent using iCafe app

#3 Josh Yates, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  4. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Ok...the CaptCase for the iPhone. I got the iPhone 5 case. I REALLY wanted to like this case...and there are some things to like, however I was extremely disappointed in this case.

Here's some of its best features:
    - Leather bound
    - Minimalistic and adds little bulk (MUCH thinner than the Book Book by TwelveSouth)
    - Stand for the iPhone
    - Front magnet to keep the case closed
    - Slot on the front for talking on the phone with the case closed
    - Slot on the back for a few credit cards, ID and cash
    - Good protection as the iPhone sits in a hard plastic enclosure (covered with leather)

All of that sounds great, right? (In full disclosure I must say that I am a minimalist when it comes to cases. I don't like much on my phones, so that may color my review.)

Unfortunately, the premise of the case is better than the actual product. The leather really feels cheap and almost like cardboard. The magnet on the front enclosure is extremely weak and does not hold the cover closed. The slot on the back for credit cards only fits three cards and has NO STITCHING around the slot. This will tear easily over time. In fact, there is not one stitch on the case...it's all held on with glue. That's right, glue. This will most definitely hurt longevity. The phone sits in the case snugly and will not fall out while the plastic shell seems to give the phone decent protection. Unfortunately, that's the best thing I can say about it.

Others may have this case and totally disagree with me...I can understand that. For me however, I used the case for about two hours and it's sat on my shelf ever since.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

5. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

That's awful. I would have expected more of a case from kickstarter.

That looks like a cheap Hong Kong case. Hope you didn't pay much. I wouldn't pay $0.99 for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

6. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

$35 down the drain, man. They're trying to sell these for $45 now! Crazy...

www.captcase.com

Sent using iCafe app

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Thanks for the review. Sorry it didn't work out so well for you. I do like the box and the logo, but from the pictures, the edges of the case look cheap.

8. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Why don't you sell it on eBay for $40? Get your money back yet a bargain for the others on eBay.

9. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Been trying... :) No bites.

Sent using iCafe app