car cradle/charger for 3G

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
I have a quick question. I'm trying to find a car cradle for the 3G with an integrated charger (ie. part of the cradle, so that you can simply slide the phone into the cradle and make the connection to the charger, without having to manually plug/unplug the charger cable.). Haven't been able to find anything yet. However, I read somewhere that any IPOD USB (not firewire) charger ought to work with the 3G (so long as it doesn't rely on the firewire connection like the original iPhone did).
Just wondering if this is true, which Apple devices use USB only (as opposed to firewire) for charging, and if anyone has any suggestions for cradles that would match what I'm looking for.

Wayne65

Sep 3, 2008
York. UK
iPhone 3G incar Charger

I am not so sure that the connection is the same on the 3g version. I have both versions of the iPhone and the Edge one charges on my Alpine car stereo that is designed for ipod connection, but the 3G one gives me a message saying no charging taking place. This also happens on the portable ipod speaker system we have in the house. I think the contact may be different on the me 3g iPhone so be careful when trying to use with older ipod items.

Wayne

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
thanks for the reply. Yes, that's my understanding also, that accessories made for the original iPhone will not work with the new iPhone.

Wondering though if accessories (specifically charger) which are made for other Apple items like the iPod touch and the ipods will work with the 3G?

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
thanks for the reply. Yes, that's my understanding also, that accessories made for the original iPhone will not work with the new iPhone.

Wondering though if accessories (specifically charger) which are made for other Apple items like the iPod touch and the ipods will work with the 3G?
The car chargers for the v1 iPhone (DLO and Griffin) both work for the 3G.

There's an iPhone Accessories sub-forum here. You should search there for answers to your question(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
I just got done going through the same ordeal. Right now it's really hard to find a good charger + dock combo for the 3g. Although you'll see ebay and other sites littered with cheap "chinese" ones, there are many reports online of these types not working properly even when claiming 3g support but also in some occasions, screwing the 3g's hardware.

I finally bit the bullet on a kensington liquidaux deluxe (http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-LiquidAUX-Deluxe-Auxiliary-Remote/dp/B0011UK2HO). It's expensive but I think it'll be worth it in the end for the simplicity (plus that it's a well known brand, and confirmed to work with the 3g). The dock seems snug but not hard to get the phone into, the phone clicks right into it (as oposed to a wire), goose neck, wireless remote, and an aux out that doesn't go through the headphone port.

I already have a separate fm transmitter which I can plus the aux cable into, so this works out perfectly. There is also the belkin tune base that is also an fm transmitter but should be cheaper (have to get the F8Z183 model).

GIRTH628

Nov 15, 2007
DLO charger

Don't want to hijack this thread, but since it's sort-of related...MileHigh, I don't know which DLo your are refering to, but I found out the hardway that the charger I had for my V1 DOES NOT work for the V2 (3G). It gave me a nice full screen alert that this accessory is not supported. Oh well.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Don't want to hijack this thread, but since it's sort-of related...MileHigh, I don't know which DLo your are refering to, but I found out the hardway that the charger I had for my V1 DOES NOT work for the V2 (3G). It gave me a nice full screen alert that this accessory is not supported. Oh well.
Girth I have a Kenwood DNX8120 car stereo which has ipod capabilities. When they installed the stereo in order for my ipod to connect they installed Kenwood Ipod Cable set, item number KCAIP200 to the stereo and my 3G connects to it just fine. FWIW I get the same full screen alert but as far as I can tell everything works fine, it even charges the battery to the phone.