Car Dock/Cradle, Where's iPhone buckled in your ride?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
Does anyone know of a decent (non-freaking-ugly) car cradle that will hold the iPhone? I don't think there are any out there yet designed specifically for it, but I'd do with a generic one for now. Ideally, I'd like something that:

Holds it.
Charges it via the bottom connector.
Has audio output via the bottom connector.
(One connection to iPhone, output wire to power and to head-unit input)
Matches the super-sexy styling of the iPhone.

I'm sure that's too much to ask for yet, but right now I'd just like something to hold it upright, so I can marvel at it while I drive. I don't really have anywhere in my car to put it that I feel it's safe besides my pocket.

Anyone using anything in their car yet? What do you do with your iPhone while you're driving?

MacDaddy

Jun 24, 2007
I have found the Dension Icelink Plus to be an excellent solution for my iPod, and was delighted to find it works for my iPhone (you have to say no when it asks about going in to airplane mode). Audio out is great, and you can control iPod functions from your headunit, but I prefer to set it to be controled from the iPod (now iPhone). phone calls are handled via Bluetooth (earpiece or built in hands free, I use the jawbone, which I love). The cradle for the dension is a sleek solution for the iPhone.

www.dension.com

No I don't work for them.

Just my 2¢

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
Mac - That's an OK one. A bit more involved than I need. I personally don't really like the look of the circular cradle, but I'm in no way insulting it. It's really hard to find too, most of the sites I came across had it listed as discontinued or unavailable. Boo.

Velo - Thanks for that laugh. Excellent response. :p

Right now I have a Pioneer DEH-P7800MP Head Unit with the Pioneer CD-IB100 iPod hook up (lets me control my iPod from the Head Unit and view track information - but can't control via iPod when attached). I also have just a standard Belkin iPod hook-up and charger hooked to power/the auxiliary input of the headunit (no control/track info - only control via iPod). I kept this attached if I want to control my iPod via the iPod, or if a friend want's to hook theirs up/charge it too.

The CDIB100 works with the iPhone. It won't let me control my tunes via the iPhone, but it also shows track info and gives control to the head unit. All other non-iPod functions of the iPhone are still accessible. The standard Belkin hook-up will charge my iPhone, but for some reason it won't send sound to the auxiliary jack of the head unit. Bull-crap.

Now I use the CDIB100 for my iPod, and the other to charge my iPhone only. I want to replace the Belkin with a cradle that with charge the iPhone and send Aux sound to the head unit (I still want control of my tunes through my iPhone).

True story - just in case anyone cares. :eek:

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I have found the Dension Icelink Plus to be an excellent solution for my iPod, and was delighted to find it works for my iPhone (you have to say no when it asks about going in to airplane mode). Audio out is great, and you can control iPod functions from your headunit, but I prefer to set it to be controled from the iPod (now iPhone). phone calls are handled via Bluetooth (earpiece or built in hands free, I use the jawbone, which I love). The cradle for the dension is a sleek solution for the iPhone.

www.dension.com

No I don't work for them.

Just my 2¢
After looking at other options out there, this Dension unit is pretty appealing. I would like to try using the active cradle with the Proclip mounting system in my boxster. But the Dension website is just useless for explaining the differences between all their damned products. I am going to try calling them tomorrow (in canada...) to see if I can get any clarification on what I need, and where/how I can get the stuff. Any info you have that might help would be appreciated, how it connects, etc.
Mike