Car DVD/Navigation/iPhone support suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMerlin, Jan 31, 2008.

1. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member

Hey all, Ive had my iPhone for a while now and I love it. However, Im suprised at the lack of accessories for it so far. I was expecting to see a car audio interface that utilizes the iPhone for all of its features but I have yet to find anything that I like.
    Im looking for a double din touch screen head unit for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I want DVD and navigation from the headunit. I also want a dedicated port I can plug my iPhone into that allows me to listen or view anything on my iPhone. I would prefer to be able to stream blutooth to the headunit but I dont think the iPhone supports that.
    I know its to much to ask for the ability to see EVERYTHING, like emails and internet and everything like that on the headunit. But I would love to be able to watch my TV shows and listen to all my music through my headunit. The problem I have is most of the solutions I have found require a hidden cable to plug an "iPod" into, like in the glove box or the like. Well, how do you answer calls if the iPhone is in the glove box? So I would also need a headunit that has good blutooth support.
    Im really having a hard time finding something that fits this bill. Ive been doing a lot of research and this guy is in the lead so far...
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=168550&i=113DNX7100&tp=75

Does anyone have experience with this Kenwood unit paired up with the iPhone? Or does anyone have any other suggestions that might lead me in another direction?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jpmihalk

jpmihalk Member

Hmmm, the iPhone will only do bluetooth phone calls, no music via A2DP profile. I have a new Jeep Liberty with the uConnect system, and it works great for bluetooth phone calls and I can plug in the phone to the Aux port via a cable to listen to music. The music even pauses for an incoming call and the head unit shows battery and signal strength and allows you to store voice tags to make calls.

I don't know of any head units that will allow iPod or iPhone video playback, even through a wire. Before this Jeep, I owned an older Wrangler and had installed a Pioneer DEH-P980BT head unit, with the optional iPod input (bottom connector) which allowed audio playback and also charged the iPhone. That was as close as I have seen to what you describe (that perfect system!)

Good luck!
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Joshualvn

Joshualvn New Member

pioneer might be an option

I just ordered the pioneer avic Z2 with an Ipod and bluetooth adaptor.
    It plays music and videos from iPhone. The video part can only be controlled from the iPhone itself. You can not get internet or email through the touch screen. Bluetooth works with iPhone on it. Has dvd and 30 gig hard drive with 10 gig dedicated to music. It also has Navigation.
    It seems like a very nice unit. Expensive ,but you can get a good price online from sonic electronix.

There is also a forum which has a lot of info and answers.
    avic411.com

I have not had mine installed to try it out yet , but did see it at circuit city and it is impressive.

I also ordered a mount from proclips to mount my iPhone on my dash without messing it up. (so will not be in glovecompartment)

I did research and as of now I think this unit offers the most features and a lot of the stuff you were asking for.

The screen is touch screen so I am hoping that they could just make a firmware upgrade so that ipod touch and iPhone can use the internet and other apps through the unit. This might not be possible , but I have my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps.
  5. 4U2NV

4U2NV Member

JOSHUALVN beat me to it. I also have the avic Z2. It is installed and the iPhone pairs to it flawlessly to listen to music as long as you purchase the iPod connector. The avic has a lot of great features as JOSHUALVN explained along with voice command, satalite options and such. My car has been in the shop since the TV upgrade has been out for the iPhone so I haven't been able to confirm that the video would work through the iPod interface, but even if it doesn't, you can hook the RCA/COMPOSITE cable to the avic to play movies, videos or watch youtube from your iPhone.
  6. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Josh, let me know how you like the z2. I was looking at that unit also. And some pics of the finished product with the iPhone mounted would be greatly appriciated!

My Grand Cherokee has a little open space in the center counsol. Im gonna find someone to fabricate a nice little dock for my iPhone down there. I need something that can fit my phone with the Seidio case.

Is this an iPhone cable to RCA/Composite? I assume its something I cN purchase. Do you have a link?
  7. Joshualvn

Joshualvn New Member

Check out this 2008 clarion unit

I just wanted to update you Imerlin that you might want to check out this new one from Clarion....

I am seriously considering returning my Avic Z2 and buying this when it becomes available. Crutchfield said they should have it within a month or two and will retail for $799

Go to the clarion website and look at the Max685BT

Connects to ipod by usb and has touchscreen video playback. Also divx.
    built in bluetooth and built in mini XM tuner so is XM ready.

The optional navigation unit looks better also because it uses navteq maps and not teleatlas like the pioneer. People say that the NAV is bad on the
    Avic Z2.

I think this could be the perfect unit for me... and it seems that Clarion is interested in having the best and most updated Ipod compatabillity so maybe soon it will be able to control all of the iPhone through the touchscreen on the clarion.
  8. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member

A month or 2 is no sweat, I probably wont make this purchase till the summer time anyway. Ive always liked Clarion, and at that price I can afford some subs and a nice amp too.

Here is the Clarion in case anyone else is interested.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc.../MAX685BT/us-en-product-pf_1172385077897.html

Actually, I was wrong. After looking again, the cost isnt cheaper than the z2 at all. With the Clarion you need to purchase the 40gb HDD for navigation and storing media. The MAX unit is listed on Clarions site for 999 and the Nav unit is another 999. I rarely drive places I dont already know how to get to, so I might be able to live without the Nav part. This Clarion looks like a very nice unit.
    Thanks for the rec Joshualvn.
  9. Joshualvn

Joshualvn New Member

Imerlin..

If you are waiting till the summer then you will definetely be able to find it online for a better price then what the Clarion site has listed.

I spoke with Crutchfield and they said they will be selling the max685bt for $799 .. so I can only assume that other places will have this for cheaper.

I have not decided if I am going to buy the NAV right away or wait and purchase it later, but I doubt it will cost me $999.

If you find anything better please post it!
  10. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member

I know this isnt something we can buy to put into ANY vehicle but I just saw a Ford commercial that has the SYNC radio in it. It specifically works with the iPhone to make calls, send and read emails and texts. At least thats what the commercial said. Im not sure how it works with the music and video portion of the iPhone but when I heard that I started to wonder if I could get it to work with my Jeep!

EDIT: Maybe the commercial was lying.
    http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/Compatibility/PhoneDetails.aspx?deviceinfo=usEN1.01%23%24%23ATT%7eApple%7eiPhone%23%24%231.1.1

Nothing here about video or nav at all.
  11. JudyKayTee

JudyKayTee Guest

most car dvd navigation systems that play DVD movies are built to play it ONLY when your shift is on park. and you also want a dedicated port can plug you iPhone into that allows you to listen or view anything on you iPhone. I find this kind of car dvd player, this model including Bluetooth ,if you have interested could have a look:

http://www.espow.com/wholesale-car-dvd-player-cars-tv-with-dvd-7-inch-touch-screen-car-dvd-with-tv-bluetooth.html

http://www.espow.com/wholesale-gps-...-car-dvd-player-7-inch-lcd-gps-bluetooth.html

And this car dvd Specified as: Touchscreen CD, DVD, SD and IPOD digital media player
    Catalog Ref: Car DVD Player, Touch screen auto multi-media player, Vehicle DVD Player + Bluetooth
  12. Watcher

Watcher Zealot

I was looking for something like this as well, although I needed the screen to eject out of the unit from the top first and expand, with the screen moving up to full view automatically. This helps cut down on the space the unit takes up vertically within the center console.

[​IMG]