Car Help

Optimous

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
Ok im getting my first car and i saved up enough money to get the BMW i want, now i need help from anyone out their that knows a thing or two about cars to help me out.

here is the car that im planing on getting in about a weeks time.

1998 BMW 540 i - $5500 CASH

Mileage: 111,227
Engine: 8 Cylinders
Transmission: auto
282-hp, 4.4-liter V-8
City: 15 – 18 Highway: 24

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
That's a pretty nice first car. :)

But what did you need help with?...

Optimous

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
like i heard that since its a german car that having high millage it doesn't matter since they are well built i was wondering if this is true because i don't want to have problemes with it the first month lol

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
It matters very much. BMW's have very high maintenance costs and can take a lot of $ to keep going. I have one and paying for a just an oil change (outside of the scheduled maintenance that's free during the first 4 years) costs double what it does for a any other car, and that's after finding the lowest price out of many dealers in the area. Does the owner have all the maintenance records? If so, make sure most of the maintenance was done according to the factory-specified schedule (in the owner's manual) at dealerships or BMW-specific independent mechanics - oil changes at Jiffy Lube won't cut it. Have you had a mechanic check it out? If not, do so before you buy it. I wouldn't buy a used BMW without a thorough inspection in advance, unless I personally knew the owner and that they took good care of it.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
everyone i know that owns a bmw is a tool that feels the need to compensate for something else in their life that is lacking. i have driven them and am not really impressed. either way it seems like a good deal for this one, but i wouldn't own one even if someone gave it to me.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
everyone i know that owns a bmw is a tool that feels the need to compensate for something else in their life that is lacking. i have driven them and am not really impressed. either way it seems like a good deal for this one, but i wouldn't own one even if someone gave it to me.
What do you think about Mercedes owners? :p

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Ok im getting my first car and i saved up enough money to get the BMW i want, now i need help from anyone out their that knows a thing or two about cars to help me out.

here is the car that im planing on getting in about a weeks time.

1998 BMW 540 i - $5500 CASH

Mileage: 111,227
Engine: 8 Cylinders
Transmission: auto
282-hp, 4.4-liter V-8
City: 15 – 18 Highway: 24

I like the interior, I would get it.
I wonder where Emilio is with his advice.........

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
What do you think about Mercedes owners? :p
well, the upper level mercedes are nice cars (i'm talkin $100,000 plus) but the lower models are trash. if you look at reviews the quality, comfort and reliability on mercedes are substantially lower than other cars in its class. people just like the name, and think they are good. i have talked to many people who got a mercedes and HATED it. either way it is mostly old people that drive them.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
well, the upper level mercedes are nice cars (i'm talkin $100,000 plus) but the lower models are trash. if you look at reviews the quality, comfort and reliability on mercedes are substantially lower than other cars in its class. people just like the name, and think they are good. i have talked to many people who got a mercedes and HATED it. either way it is mostly old people that drive them.
Previous Mercedes, yes, but have you seen the reviews on the 2007+ S, SL, and E-Classes? They're much much higher now then they were.

Btw, I think your last statement about age is wrong. I'm not old, and I know tons of people with MB's that are around my age to not many years older. I don't know what "old" means to you.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
my statement cannot be wrong simply because it is my opinion that has been formed with experience. an opinion does not need to be validated with factual information, maybe where you live younger people drive mercedes, but where i live older people drive them, so neither of us are "wrong".

i may be wrong, but aren't the S, E, and SL classes around the price range that i excluded in my original statement by saying they were "nice cars"?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
my statement cannot be wrong simply because it is my opinion that has been formed with experience. an opinion does not need to be validated with factual information, maybe where you live younger people drive mercedes, but where i live older people drive them, so neither of us are "wrong".

i may be wrong, but aren't the S, E, and SL classes around the price range that i excluded in my original statement by saying they were "nice cars"?

My mistake. I thought you were talking about ALL Mercedes'.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
like i heard that since its a german car that having high millage it doesn't matter since they are well built i was wondering if this is true because i don't want to have problemes with it the first month lol
First it's a beautiful and fun to drive automobile. It is also a high milage vehicle meaning it has used up 111k+ miles of it's useful life. Like Macgirl said if the owner doesn't have all the service records and all of the service hasn't been done by a dealer or well recognized independent shop you are asking for trouble. Even if all the above has been done things wear out. You should budget between$1,000 to $3,000 for maintenance and repair a year. Best of luck from another car guy.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Pepe: "Call me Helen Keller cause I'm a f*$!in miracle worker!"

What miracle did Helen Keller work, exactly? I wasn't sure so I checked wikipedia. Apparently her teacher, Annie Sullivan, was said to have worked miracles, which is where the movie Miracle Worker took its title.

I think I'll call you Helen Keller, because you can't see what an ass you're being.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
[/B]
My mistake. I thought you were talking about ALL Mercedes'.
no worries, we all make mistakes (myself more than others).

Pepe: "Call me Helen Keller cause I'm a f*$!in miracle worker!"

What miracle did Helen Keller work, exactly? I wasn't sure so I checked wikipedia. Apparently her teacher, Annie Sullivan, was said to have worked miracles, which is where the movie Miracle Worker took its title.

I think I'll call you Helen Keller, because you can't see what an ass you're being.
its a line from entourage, my last sig was too crude and removed. i don't really see how i am being an ass, if you have an issue please pm me or a mod, per the rules of the forum, you must respect every member and personal attacks are not tolerated, so please refrain from calling me an ass, thanks.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Amazing car. Wow it's $5500 there? I would buy it in a flash. You know how much such a car would cost here in my country? Not less than $30000, the interior will be different, and it won't have that GPS (if that's GPS) screen.

Congratulations and good luck mate.

rmfnla

Bronze

The E cars start at considerably less than $100K and they are nice enough cars.

Optimous: decent deal but repairs can be a real buzz kill; think $3,000 trannies, $500 brake jobs, etc.

Your insurance company might have some unpleasant news for you as well...

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Well, everything I was going to say has already been mentioned (i.e. make damn sure all the maintenance was done on time and to have a mechanic look it over).

But one question I have to ask is, what kind of cars have you driven before?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Macgirl is spot-on with her recommendations. BMWs can be very expensive to maintain especially as they age. My auto-dimming rear view mirror leaked the dimming fluid (yeah, who knew it was fluid in there that did it) and I had to get it replaced. Fortunately I was under the 4 year warranty so it was free instead of the $700 I would have paid otherwise. BMWs are great cars and I love mine but you must be cautious with buying older cars regardless of their make.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Macgirl is spot-on with her recommendations. BMWs can be very expensive to maintain especially as they age. My auto-dimming rear view mirror leaked the dimming fluid (yeah, who knew it was fluid in there that did it) and I had to get it replaced. Fortunately I was under the 4 year warranty so it was free instead of the $700 I would have paid otherwise. BMWs are great cars and I love mine but you must be cautious with buying older cars regardless of their make.
There's the man of the hour, I was waiting for you to chime in seeing as how you own a beamer :)