Car Mechanics...what is this noise?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
My car just the other day, when going in reverse my car is squeaking like a chainsaw cutting wood. Except it is not the breaks, as when I step on them it stops and the car comes to a halt. When I go forward, it does not make a noise. Front brakes were replaced in 11 and rear brakes were replaced 2 weeks ago.

JON35Y

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
If you step in the brakes and the noise goes it's a clear indication that it is the brakes. Prob just a build up of dust on the pad sliders. Have you had wet weather recently as that usually causes the dust build up and then it dries out causing noise. Obviously this is just an educated guess as I haven't seen the car. Other cause could be no grease put on the pads when fitted?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I would check those rear breaks. They're new. Something is touching where it should not, causing the noise. When the brakes are applied, the noise stops because it no longer touches as it did in reverse.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
If you step in the brakes and the noise goes it's a clear indication that it is the brakes. Prob just a build up of dust on the pad sliders. Have you had wet weather recently as that usually causes the dust build up and then it dries out causing noise. Obviously this is just an educated guess as I haven't seen the car. Other cause could be no grease put on the pads when fitted?
When I step on the brakes, it doesn't make a noise and the noise stops. But when the car starts rolling in reverse, it starts squealing.
Don't muck about with brakes. Ask your mechanic.
I can't afford a mechanic. :p

I would check those rear breaks. They're new. Something is touching where it should not, causing the noise. When the brakes are applied, the noise stops because it no longer touches as it did in reverse.
But it just started happening a few days ago, when the new brakes have been on for a few weeks.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
When I step on the brakes, it doesn't make a noise and the noise stops. But when the car starts rolling in reverse, it starts squealing.

I can't afford a mechanic. :p

But it just started happening a few days ago, when the new brakes have been on for a few weeks.
I would still have the brakes checked. Take it to whoever put the rear brakes on and tell them what it's doing. They won't charge you to at least look. If it needs an adjustment, they'll probably do it at no charge since they put them on.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
If I could take a pic, could you maybe tell if something's wrong?

Oh, and I put the rear brakes on. :p Under the supervision of my grandpa who has worked on cars for a career and built cars from scratch since he was 15. :)

JON35Y

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Did you use grease on the sliders? Did you clean the sliders before installing Are they pads or shoes?

JON35Y

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Where the pad sits needs to be cleaned and greased otherwise you will get brake squeal. The pads should move freely in the slider/carrier. You also need to make sure there's no lip on the edge of the disc. If I was you I would take it somewhere to be looked at. It definitely sounds like pad squeal to me.

JON35Y

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
That sounds like the back plate is touching the disc. Strange it doesn't do it going forward. I would still take the wheels off and check everything looks ok and not touching anywhere

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
There's also a slight possibility of one of the calipers failing. Does your car drag at all when coming to a stop with the brakes not being applied? This can sometimes be hard to detect.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
What should I be feeling for when I am stopping? I brake very early, and apply a constant slow down, so that way I'm not hard on the brakes, so this may deter me from feeling the drag?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Just slow the car to almost a full stop, then let off the brake. You may be able to feel a slight grip as the car comes to a stop if a caliper is failing. Or, put the car on a very slight hill and take your foot off the brake. If it doesn't roll, you may have a caliper forcing a pad down onto the rotor. It's hard to explain the feel, especially to a young driver.

I've had experience with this, and my father was a mechanic.

JON35Y

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Only other way is to jack it up so both wheels are off the ground. Try and turn the wheels by hand. Obviously with the handbrake off. If ones stiffer than the other then you have a problem with either a pad not releasing or caliper seized. Or a handbrake cable seized etc etc.