Carrier Settings for AT&T has just been updated to 18.1

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Rafagon, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 9.30.42 PM.png
    After seeing the above while connected to my iMac / iTunes, I unplugged my iPhone and then OK'd the carrier settings update. My phone went from AT&T 18.0 to AT&T 18.1, but I have yet to update to iOS 8.1.2.

I can go into Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE and I have the "Voice & Data" option. Unfortunately, I don't know if this just became available after updating to AT&T 18.1 or if it was already there before. I'm assuming this means I can now enjoy VoLTE (HD Voice)—on those rare instances when I call someone who
    • has a likewise-capable handset
    • has a postpaid plan
    • has enabled the feature
    • happens to be on AT&T
    Here's the FAQ, which lists the many limitations on the service.

Is this really the only way I can tell I'm on an HD Voice call?

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 9.56.18 PM.png

I would think that if I look at the status bar and see LTE.png while the call is in progress, that would mean I'm on an HD Voice call.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That toggle was present on 8.0. It doesn't mean VoLTE is available in your area; it's just a setting to enable it if it is available in your area. I've had it toggled on since September, did the carrier update yesterday and still don't have VoLTE. It's not available in my area.

#2 Europa, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Quick question, Europa: When you said it doesn't mean LTE is available in my area (first line of your paragraph, above), were you perhaps referring to VoLTE capabilities intead of LTE? I could've sworn you'd mentioned elsewhere on the forums you already had LTE—for data, that is.

For sure, I've had LTE (Data only) available in my area for the longest timce... since the iPhone I saw the LTE logo. However, speeds were nothing to write home about. I now get much more decent LTE speeds, especially since running SpeedTest on my 6+:

48down, 16up.jpg (thumnail, click to enlarge)

I think what's new to my area is VoLTE AKA HD Voice... maybe not after with latest "Carrier Settings Update" by AT&T, it may have already been there before. Now I just need to find a person who meets all the requirements for handling VoLTE (not simply LTE) and test it with them.

Per the FAQ I linked to in my previous post (here's that link again), there are several prerequisites:

Both you and the party on the other end of the conversation must have:
    Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 7.52.24 AM.png
    As I stated in my earlier post, I don't believe HD-Voice will not become commonplace until late 2015. There are too many limitations for the service right now and it will take AT&T and other carriers a while to overcome them.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, that was a typo. I meant to say VoLTE. I've had LTE here for a year, but still don't have VoLTE. The LTE speeds are pretty slow in this area.

5. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

My option was their previously. But I got a carrier update for AT&T this morning too. I like getting updates. :)

See there.., contrary to popular belief. Simple things make me happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. Contrary to what a few people say, "simple" doesn't mean "stupid" or "limited."

7. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Careful with 8.1.2. I updated my 6 and I've been having trouble with iMessages being send. Seems to be some problem reestablishing cellular data after the update. I've toggled Airplane Mode on/off and often get the warning about not being able to establish cellular data. Eventually it comes back, sometimes after a complete restart. I've been holding off on a wipe/restore but if the trouble crops up any more I won't have a choice. Others have reported a loss of sound for any alerts.

8.1.2 is *supposed* to offer improved battery life but that takes several charging cycles to be noticeable. If I'd known what I do know know about 8.1.2 I would have waited to see if Apple rushes out an 8.1.3. I don't know if these issues are widespread enough to even warrant another update, but we will see.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

If I update my carrier settings to 18.1, will it affect my jailbreak? I hit the later button and made this post.

9. EverythingApple

Gold

I'm still on 18.0 and have the Voice & Data option.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

A couple of sources out there state that the answer is no.

As I'm not jailbroken and my knowledge about that is very limited, you may want to wait for @Europa or @Napoleon PhoneApart to see that person's reply so they can agree or disagree as they see fit :)

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Carrier updates are safe. They won't affect the jailbreak.

12. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

I wonder if it's done automatically or if I have to click it? I don't see anything different lol

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Carrier updates? You have to agree to them. (As you will read in the article I linked to [below], "The process isn’t at all tedious – you basically just accept it and boom! it’s installed – and it never requires a reboot.")

You agree to them either through iTunes or on your iPhone itself. If you're doing it through iTunes, you get the pop-up I posted at the beginning of this thread.

If you're doing it directly on the iPhone, you get the pop-up shown in this article. That was an interesting article that gives a quick but decent explanation of carrier updates.

The article is dated December 9th, so it's quite possible that the carrier update described in that article is the one that I got hit with on Sunday, when I created this thread.

A carrier update, or even an iOS update, will not necessarily produce something that the end user can see. Often, it fixes (or attempts to fix) something (and in Apple's case, breaks something else) that was screwy and quite possibly happening behind the scenes.

Finally, today we also learned that carrier updates do not affect jailbreaks.

14. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks! Done!

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Except yours, heheh.

16. EverythingApple

Gold

Huh? Mine's updated and still jailbroken.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I think he was messing with you... :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Who? Me? Messing with someone? :D