Carrier Settings for AT&T has just been updated to 18.1

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 9.30.42 PM.png

After seeing the above while connected to my iMac / iTunes, I unplugged my iPhone and then OK'd the carrier settings update. My phone went from AT&T 18.0 to AT&T 18.1, but I have yet to update to iOS 8.1.2.

I can go into Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE and I have the "Voice & Data" option. Unfortunately, I don't know if this just became available after updating to AT&T 18.1 or if it was already there before. I'm assuming this means I can now enjoy VoLTE (HD Voice)—on those rare instances when I call someone who
  • has a likewise-capable handset
  • has a postpaid plan
  • has enabled the feature
  • happens to be on AT&T
Here's the FAQ, which lists the many limitations on the service.

Is this really the only way I can tell I'm on an HD Voice call?

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 9.56.18 PM.png

I would think that if I look at the status bar and see LTE.png while the call is in progress, that would mean I'm on an HD Voice call.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
View attachment 40243
After seeing the above while connected to my iMac / iTunes, I unplugged my iPhone and then OK'd the carrier settings update. My phone went from AT&T 18.0 to AT&T 18.1, but I have yet to update to iOS 8.1.2.

I can go into Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE and I have the "Voice & Data" option. Unfortunately, I don't know if this just became available after updating to AT&T 18.1 or if it was already there before. I'm assuming this means I can now enjoy VoLTE (HD Voice)—on those rare instances when I call someone who
  • has a postpaid plan
  • happens to be on AT&T

View attachment 40244

I would think that if I look at the status bar and see View attachment 40246 while the call is in progress, that would mean I'm on an HD Voice call.
That toggle was present on 8.0. It doesn't mean VoLTE is available in your area; it's just a setting to enable it if it is available in your area. I've had it toggled on since September, did the carrier update yesterday and still don't have VoLTE. It's not available in my area.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That toggle was present on 8.0. It doesn't mean LTE is available in your area; it's just a setting to enable it if it is available in your area. I've had it toggled on since September, did the carrier update yesterday and still don't have VoLTE. It's not available in my area.
Quick question, Europa: When you said it doesn't mean LTE is available in my area (first line of your paragraph, above), were you perhaps referring to VoLTE capabilities intead of LTE? I could've sworn you'd mentioned elsewhere on the forums you already had LTE—for data, that is.

For sure, I've had LTE (Data only) available in my area for the longest timce... since the iPhone I saw the LTE logo. However, speeds were nothing to write home about. I now get much more decent LTE speeds, especially since running SpeedTest on my 6+:

48down, 16up.jpg (thumnail, click to enlarge)

I think what's new to my area is VoLTE AKA HD Voice... maybe not after with latest "Carrier Settings Update" by AT&T, it may have already been there before. Now I just need to find a person who meets all the requirements for handling VoLTE (not simply LTE) and test it with them.

Per the FAQ I linked to in my previous post (here's that link again), there are several prerequisites:

Both you and the party on the other end of the conversation must have:
Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 7.52.24 AM.png

As I stated in my earlier post, I don't believe HD-Voice will not become commonplace until late 2015. There are too many limitations for the service right now and it will take AT&T and other carriers a while to overcome them.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, that was a typo. I meant to say VoLTE. I've had LTE here for a year, but still don't have VoLTE. The LTE speeds are pretty slow in this area.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
My option was their previously. But I got a carrier update for AT&T this morning too. I like getting updates. :)

See there.., contrary to popular belief. Simple things make me happy.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
View attachment 40243

• has a postpaid plan
  • happens to be on AT&T

View attachment 40244

I would think that if I look at the status bar and see View attachment 40246 while the call is in progress, that would mean I'm on an HD Voice call.
Careful with 8.1.2. I updated my 6 and I've been having trouble with iMessages being send. Seems to be some problem reestablishing cellular data after the update. I've toggled Airplane Mode on/off and often get the warning about not being able to establish cellular data. Eventually it comes back, sometimes after a complete restart. I've been holding off on a wipe/restore but if the trouble crops up any more I won't have a choice. Others have reported a loss of sound for any alerts.

8.1.2 is *supposed* to offer improved battery life but that takes several charging cycles to be noticeable. If I'd known what I do know know about 8.1.2 I would have waited to see if Apple rushes out an 8.1.3. I don't know if these issues are widespread enough to even warrant another update, but we will see.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
View attachment 40243

• has a postpaid plan
  • happens to be on AT&T

View attachment 40244

I'm still on 18.0 and have the Voice & Data option.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I wonder if it's done automatically or if I have to click it? I don't see anything different lol
Carrier updates? You have to agree to them. (As you will read in the article I linked to [below], "The process isn’t at all tedious – you basically just accept it and boom! it’s installed – and it never requires a reboot.")

You agree to them either through iTunes or on your iPhone itself. If you're doing it through iTunes, you get the pop-up I posted at the beginning of this thread.

If you're doing it directly on the iPhone, you get the pop-up shown in this article. That was an interesting article that gives a quick but decent explanation of carrier updates.

The article is dated December 9th, so it's quite possible that the carrier update described in that article is the one that I got hit with on Sunday, when I created this thread.

A carrier update, or even an iOS update, will not necessarily produce something that the end user can see. Often, it fixes (or attempts to fix) something (and in Apple's case, breaks something else) that was screwy and quite possibly happening behind the scenes.

Finally, today we also learned that carrier updates do not affect jailbreaks.