Carrier Settings Update On iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by dmoskaluk, Apr 29, 2014.

1. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I received a notification 'Carrier Settings Update' on my iPhone 4S on LIME ( the principal Barbados ISP/phone service) a day or so ago, with the options of ’Not Now' & 'Update'. Having those choices I went with the 'not now' in order to consult the gurus on this forum. I also wanted to see if the same notification would be broadcast to my wife's phone, identical, same carrier etc ...it arrived this morning and I stuck with the 'not now' option. Both phones run iOS 7.1.1 Can anyone enlighten me about what the update involves, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of leaving it undone. Neither phone seems to have any connectivity issues ( except those which occurred after 6.1.0 went in more than a year ago, to be remedied with the very quick release of 6.1.1. - I think it came out about a week after 6.1 Since then, all has been smooth and quick ... David

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Carrier updates are usually a good thing. If it were me, I'd give them a call and ask.

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Chief ...

I will be close to one of their outlets tomorrow and will venture in and get what 'scoop' they have ..... DNM

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You will periodically see carrier updates become available for your iPhone. They are small updates from your carrier. They include settings updates for things like calling, messaging, cellular settings, voicemail and personal hotspot. You do not need to call your carrier or Apple. It is safe to update whenever you see carrier updates become available. It is even safe for those who jailbreak.

6. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Done - thanks ...