Case ... etc

Survivor61

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Just picked up my black 16g iPhone. Looks good so far but I guess I should inspect it closely for cracks. One thing I am ticked off about is the case I ordered for it. My old phone has a iSkin Revo, so I went to the Revo site and they had one for the new phone, as they said the old case was not compatable. Ummmm why? I just took the case off my old one and it fits and works fine on my new one, unless I am missing something. Anyway, when the new case comes in I may just send it back. Not really sure what the difference is.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
the old iskin revo case may cover some or all of the sensors on the 3g

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
the old iskin revo case may cover some or all of the sensors on the 3g
That's apparently the logic behind the incompatibility issue with the old case. However, I've been using my old Revo case since launch day of 3G and really don't see any difference in reception whether I'm using it with the old Revo or naked. If it were truly covering sensors you'd think I'd get improved performance when it is naked.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's apparently the logic behind the incompatibility issue with the old case. However, I've been using my old Revo case since launch day of 3G and really don't see any difference in reception whether I'm using it with the old Revo or naked. If it were truly covering sensors you'd think I'd get improved performance when it is naked.
The sensors that would be covered are the light and proximity sensors. So symptoms of incompatibility would be a perpetually dim screen with autobright engaged, or else a blank screen whenever you place a call (because the phone thinks it's at your ear when in fact it's the case tripping the sensor)

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
the sensors have nothing to do with reception

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
The sensors that would be covered are the light and proximity sensors. So symptoms of incompatibility would be a perpetually dim screen with autobright engaged, or else a blank screen whenever you place a call (because the phone thinks it's at your ear when in fact it's the case tripping the sensor)
Thanks for shedding some light (pun intended) on the situation.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
EDIT
Interesting that none of those scenarios play out when my phone is in my first gen Revo case. I took the case off and there is no noticeable difference in the brightness of the screen. Also when I place a call the phone doesn't get any dimmer with the case on than it does off.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
the auto brightness only adjusts the screen brightness when you "wake up" your phone, and the screen doesn't "dim" during phone calls, it should go completely blank.

The 3g has different sensors (1 more?) that are in different places than the 1st gen. That is the reason for the new case.