Case Reviews: InCase & Case-Mate

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

beckey76

Aug 9, 2007
I recently purchased two cases because I couldn't make up my mind.

I purchased the InCase Leather Fitted Sleeve in Pink:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DED39472&nplm=TN562LL/A
InCase: $34.95

This case is a nice, tight fit for the iPhone. Since it is leather, the first couple of times I put the iPhone in it, it was tough to get the snap closed. You cannot dock it with this case on but you can use the USB cable to connect to it while on. The only complaints I have is that the belt clip is not removable (for when traveling in my purse), the left side edge on the front does not always stay flush to the iPhone (sometimes the silver edging shows), no protection for the screen, and the volume cutout is not a perfect fit. It comes in Black, Olive, Brown, and Pink. I have been using this case for a couple of days now and, even with the complaints, I like the case.

The Case-Mate Signature Leather Case in Black:
http://www.case-mate.com/phones/Apple/iPhonesignature

Case-Mate Case: $34.99
with the Case-Mate Signature iPhone Holster:
http://www.case-mate.com/s.nl/it.A/id.295/.f

Case-Mate Holster: $24.99

I just received this one and, per previous posts, the belt clip included with the case is bad and will probably break off pretty easily. The belt clips is screw on, screw off and is easy to remove. That is why I purchased the holster to go with it. The case is a really nice fit to the iPhone but, unlike the InCase case, there is not a snap or anything to actually hold the iPhone in the case. One bonus is that the case is a tight fit and shouldn't slip out of the case unless you go bungy jumping with it. This case also came with a screen protector (I am so sick of fingerprints on my iPhone screen) and a cleaning cloth. The screen protector was fairly easy to put on my iPhone screen and now has a really nice, shiny cover. My screen is covered with either case I decide to use. The case can be holstered two ways: facing out or facing in. I will more than likely face it in to protect it while on my hip. The holster's clip is pretty sturdy and can be adjusted 360 degrees. I prefer to wear mine like a folio but I tend to drop my phones when trying to remove them from the folio. The case slides out of the holster easily, but not too easily that it will fall out on it's own. Also, the case comes in Black, Perforated Black, Red, and Pink but the holster only comes in black.

I personally do not like the plastic looking skins, they look flimsy to me and don't seem like they would protect very well. I had one for my 4GB iPod Nano but it was a real pain to insert or remove my iPod from it.

I hope this helps with any decisions regarding case purchases. Please feel free to contact me if more information is needed.

08.15.07 UPDATE: ok, so I used the Case-Mate for about 2 days and I must say that I do not care for it. The belt clip on the holster bugs me because it is hard plastic and was constantly rubbing my waist. The silver on the sides of the front show when in the Case.

I am offically back to using the bink InCase case. It is a nicer fit and doesn't bother me when on my hip.

agile53

Jun 28, 2007
Incase Leather Sleeve Followup

Beckey-
Thank you for a very good detailed review, I applaud your thoroughness. I have/had both the black & brown (more of a tan) one's & sent back the brown because I didn't care for the light tan color. No problems w/ the volume cutout but have noticed the minor issue w/ the left front edge being slightly raised. The clip is very robust (like that, as I remove it often from my belt) & the entire leather case protects (my goal) the phone. It allows me to use all it's functions while remaining in the case. More than satisfied w/ this holster style case, no regrets.
On an aside, I do highly recommend the Apple crystal screen protectors as they are not that diffucult to install & add the screen protection that the Incase sleeve doesn't have.
Just my .02 & HTH

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I also have both cases and no longer use either of them. I think the InCase is still the best of the ones I have, but I don't like that it has scretched. I also don't like the "stickiness" of it, which I know, is it's main point. It's too much of a pain to get out of my pocket when I need to answer a call.

As for the case-mate, I just didn't like the look of it. I know the top part needs to be open for the sensors, but it ruins the look. It also covers some of the headset speaker when the iPhone is pushed all the way into the case. I do however like the removable clip on the back. That's very nice and I'm nice easier for them since they don't need to make two separate models.

Joe

Jul 23, 2008
Incase Leather Sleeve - Black

I recently purchased two cases because I couldn't make up my mind.

I purchased the InCase Leather Fitted Sleeve in Pink:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DED39472&nplm=TN562LL/A
InCase: $34.95

This case is a nice, tight fit for the iPhone. Since it is leather, the first couple of times I put the iPhone in it, it was tough to get the snap closed. You cannot dock it with this case on but you can use the USB cable to connect to it while on. The only complaints I have is that the belt clip is not removable (for when traveling in my purse), the left side edge on the front does not always stay flush to the iPhone (sometimes the silver edging shows), no protection for the screen, and the volume cutout is not a perfect fit. It comes in Black, Olive, Brown, and Pink. I have been using this case for a couple of days now and, even with the complaints, I like the case.

The Case-Mate Signature Leather Case in Black:
http://www.case-mate.com/phones/Apple/iPhonesignature

Case-Mate Case: $34.99
with the Case-Mate Signature iPhone Holster:
http://www.case-mate.com/s.nl/it.A/id.295/.f

Case-Mate Holster: $24.99

I just received this one and, per previous posts, the belt clip included with the case is bad and will probably break off pretty easily. The belt clips is screw on, screw off and is easy to remove. That is why I purchased the holster to go with it. The case is a really nice fit to the iPhone but, unlike the InCase case, there is not a snap or anything to actually hold the iPhone in the case. One bonus is that the case is a tight fit and shouldn't slip out of the case unless you go bungy jumping with it. This case also came with a screen protector (I am so sick of fingerprints on my iPhone screen) and a cleaning cloth. The screen protector was fairly easy to put on my iPhone screen and now has a really nice, shiny cover. My screen is covered with either case I decide to use. The case can be holstered two ways: facing out or facing in. I will more than likely face it in to protect it while on my hip. The holster's clip is pretty sturdy and can be adjusted 360 degrees. I prefer to wear mine like a folio but I tend to drop my phones when trying to remove them from the folio. The case slides out of the holster easily, but not too easily that it will fall out on it's own. Also, the case comes in Black, Perforated Black, Red, and Pink but the holster only comes in black.

I personally do not like the plastic looking skins, they look flimsy to me and don't seem like they would protect very well. I had one for my 4GB iPod Nano but it was a real pain to insert or remove my iPod from it.

I hope this helps with any decisions regarding case purchases. Please feel free to contact me if more information is needed.

08.15.07 UPDATE: ok, so I used the Case-Mate for about 2 days and I must say that I do not care for it. The belt clip on the holster bugs me because it is hard plastic and was constantly rubbing my waist. The silver on the sides of the front show when in the Case.

I am offically back to using the bink InCase case. It is a nicer fit and doesn't bother me when on my hip.
Great review! I'm just getting around to this post but echo everything that's been said. At first I was concerned about the "tightness" of the case but realized that everything leather stretches over time. Once I put it in the case, I held back from taking it out again, waited three weeks and what do you know it slides out without using any force.
It's been mentioned before about the clip but I have to chime in as well. Of all the cases w/clips I've owned for my phones this one is far superior. I've clipped my iPhone to my belt, to pants with no belt, my pocket and I'm telling you it would take an act from GOD for the clip to lose it's grip. It's quite strong! Also when you set the phone on it's back the clip raises the iPhone off the ground so the top rear corners don't touch the surfce (which helps because that's the only part of the iPhone that's "naked"). :cool:
I don't know about the previous reviewers but there's a gap between the "clasp" and the clip, and when you put your index finger between them provides great support for holding the iPhone when holding for extended periods of time...
Oh, once again you must buy a screen protector as this case doesn't protect the glass. Cheers!

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/leather-sleeve-es89025/2

Jul 28, 2008
Calgary
I bought the Black Fiber Leather case-mate case and find it really protects the phone well. (http://www.case-mate.com/phones/Apple3G/carboniPhonecombo_4) I like the fact all functions for the phone are easily accessable when the phone is in the case. The fact it comes with a holster that the sleeve fits is tightly is another great feature. I was always worried about dropping the phone when I had the Belkin case which didn't protect the phone at all when not in the holster. It is a bit pricey but I checked my carrier and replacement phones are not cheap so protect it the best you can!