Case with flash pictures

wildturkey

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
No matter what cases I use I get a reflection that causes my pictures to have white bloches in them anyone else have the problems?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
This problem has been reported by some users in threads. I have the ifrogz case and I haven't had this problem when taking pictures.

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
I have the ifrogz and I don't have that problem either.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
No matter what cases I use I get a reflection that causes my pictures to have white bloches in them anyone else have the problems?
which cases have you used so far? the main culprits are the ones that come too close to the flash. a thin strip of sand paper or nail file should do the trick. it doesn't need to be further away, just taper it at an angle so that the flash would disperse away instead of bouncing towards the lens.

wildturkey

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
which cases have you used so far? the main culprits are the ones that come too close to the flash. a thin strip of sand paper or nail file should do the trick. it doesn't need to be further away, just taper it at an angle so that the flash would disperse away instead of bouncing towards the lens.
Case-mate barley there and belkin vue.......

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Take a black Sharpie marker to the flash cut-out. :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I get the blobs with my Belkin Grip Vue. The case is very thick in the back and I think the flash reflects off the case.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
The Griffin Reveal iPhone 4 case has this problem with white circular flashmarks. I have this case, and took fireworks pics with and without the case and there is definitely a flash refection issue with this case.
I have not done the Black Sharpie thing yet. Any confirmation that this solves the problem?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Cases are definitely a problem, but I think people are overlooking another issue: your fingers. I've recreated the ghosty flash look without a case by dangling my finger over the top or side of the phone near the corner with the flash. It doesn't take much overhang before it becomes a reflector. Make sure you keep your digits away from that corner when doing flash shots!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've been experimenting with my case (pic courtesy of Seanwes) that was $1 on eBay.

It's about as thin as you're going to find and the camera/flash cutout line up perfectly, but it was causing a bluish haze. I filed away a few millimeters so that the flash hole is almost as large as the lens hole, and that helped a bit. But lining that newly-formed edge with black sharpie did the trick. Now no more bluish haze.

If the sharpie wears off, I may investigate more permanent solutions because I really do love this case.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am going to have to test my case to see if it causes issues.... I didn't think it did... but now i am starting to wonder. It was all that they had so I got it... Have to say it looks pretty sweet and I get a lot of compliments. But I might try filing down the flash cut-out.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
FWIW,
Griffin support has been prompt with emails, and says that they will allow swapping out the current version of the Reveal cases (even if you used a black sharpie) for the new version (hopefully) coming out at the end of month/July.

wildturkey

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
I've been experimenting with my case (pic courtesy of Seanwes) that was $1 on eBay.

It's about as thin as you're going to find and the camera/flash cutout line up perfectly, but it was causing a bluish haze. I filed away a few millimeters so that the flash hole is almost as large as the lens hole, and that helped a bit. But lining that newly-formed edge with black sharpie did the trick. Now no more bluish haze.

If the sharpie wears off, I may investigate more permanent solutions because I really do love this case.
Where can I buy one of these cases you have?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
My GF and I have this issue. We still get it without cases and kept our fingers away from the lens/flash. I've got an appointment with Apple on Wednesday. I've tried restoring both devices as new but that didn't fix the blue haze. It might be a hardware issue. At least I have a case # for both phones now and they should be able to duplicate the problem if they use flash in low light. Hopefully the replacements won't have this problem.

casssax

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
I think there may be more than one type of problem. Some of the clear cases may glow or light up from the flash. In that case the black sharpie may help. But other cases are just too thick and the flash reflects off of the case and back into the camera lens. I have two cases that are black, the Rocketfish jelly case and the Griffin Elan Passport Wallet. Both about 1/8th inch thick. I tried cutting the flash hole a little bigger on the Rocketfish but it didn't help. And since the cases are already black I don't think the sharpie is going to help either. (Unless the sharpie dries to a flat black that doesn't reflect as much).

I'm not sure how big the hole would have to be on these thick cases to prevent the flash problem.

iisark

Aug 3, 2010
Just change your case mate and you will solve the problem.