Categories problem

Nov 1, 2008
Hey guys, I was giving categories a try, and I thought I'd make a folder with all my settings, in it, so bossprefs, categories, customize, etc. basically anything that would change settings on the phone. But in the middle of making the folder, categories crashed, and now I'm missing all the icons i put into that one category, including bossprefs, cydia, installer, customize, categories, and more. the only options app i have is the original settings.

I've heard there were ways to ssh into the phone and get those back without a full restart, and that would be best. My computer doesn't have wifi, so I'm using iPhone tunnel suite for now. Is there a way to fix this using ssh and iPhone tunneling suite? Thanks!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Hey guys, I was giving categories a try, and I thought I'd make a folder with all my settings, in it, so bossprefs, categories, customize, etc. basically anything that would change settings on the phone. But in the middle of making the folder, categories crashed, and now I'm missing all the icons i put into that one category, including bossprefs, cydia, installer, customize, categories, and more. the only options app i have is the original settings.

I've heard there were ways to ssh into the phone and get those back without a full restart, and that would be best. My computer doesn't have wifi, so I'm using iPhone tunnel suite for now. Is there a way to fix this using ssh and iPhone tunneling suite? Thanks!

Go back into Cydia and DELETE Catogories...reboot and everything should be there. Try again. no need to ssh. However, its a great learning expeirence to mess around with ssh. So you could go that route if you wanted to...

Nov 1, 2008
Go back into Cydia and DELETE Catogories...reboot and everything should be there. Try again.
Ah, but I can't open cydia because it was in the folder that didn't show up on the dashboard.

Nov 1, 2008
Haven't tried DiskAid, but I have gotten into the phone via ssh already, just to clear that up. I am just not sure what to do with it once I've ssh'd. I can get in through putty and winscp also.

Nov 1, 2008
Would anyone else know how to help me on this?
All I know how to do is ssh into the phone, but I don't know how to start up categories through ssh.

Nov 24, 2008
I'm having this same problem, I used APTBACKUP and switched over to 2.2 firmware and now all my apps are trapped in the folders Categories made and the folders are missing. I tried uninstalling and restarting but it did nothing. I have access to SSH and I see all my apps there but I don't know how to fix this issue.

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
Similar problem. I pulled all programs out but still lost some. Someone on here recommended the app Poof and it worked as categories just hides the programs. I just turned them back on. Now how to SSH it into your phone is a little beyond me. Hope this somewhat helps.

KARNAG3

Aug 7, 2009
Different Categories Issues

Hello everyone,

Here's my issue with the Categories App from Cydia.
When ever I create a folder in that application, when I open the folder I created from the iPhone desktop, either I cant see the i button at the right bottom because it is hidden by the dock or i see the the button/circle with a i but when i press on it, nothing happen. It shows that I have pressed it but the preference page doesn't show up.

It all started when I used springback with the springbackup of the theme Apple White HD. It tried to look everywhere on the net but I cant find anybody with the same issue that I had.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Categories a few times, he time i did it was looking to find some preference file that the uninstalled kept inside my device with iFile, but i couldn't find any.

Finally I restored my device to factory settings and jailbreak it again.
The only issue is that it seems that when I loaded back up my profile from itune, the error come back again so I really need to find the source of it.

Anyone as any ideal? I only have cydia, rock, xxxxxxx and categories installed... :(

Thanks guys for your time!

tekneek

May 5, 2010
Solved

found the way to solve this since i had the same problem. i believe the problem lies with iProtect unfortunately

go to SBSettings --> More --> Hide Icons --> Switch Categories (or anything else) to On

respring and you should see categories again, go in to categories and your folder.. pull out iProtect and start it up and disable it for now.

now you should be able to open your folder without it immediately crashing/minimizing back to springboard

hope this helped guys good luck!

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
This same issue came up about a year ago and what tekneek mentioned above
is what worked. Keep us posted.