categories + quickpwn = bad

x4x5x1x

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wyandotte Mi
www.myspace.com
here is a tip for everyone....DO NOT leave files in categories if you are going to upgrade and pwn. i had cydia, among others, in a file and when i upgraded and pwned they neeever showed up again. when i go into the appstore it says "already installed". ive pwned it twice with no success. im thinking a restore is in my future....fun. has this happened to you?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ai... what a mess. I don't think you have any recourse other than a restore at this point. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Have you tried uninstalling categories?

x4x5x1x

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wyandotte Mi
www.myspace.com
haa i cant uninstall it. i had cydia in one of the files i made. i cant ssh into it either. lol like i said im pretty sure restore is the only way.....unfortunately

x4x5x1x

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wyandotte Mi
www.myspace.com
UPDATE:
ok i restored and re-pwned, all is well. lesson learned, if you use categories and want to upgrade be sure to remove everything from your created category files.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
Ran into a similar problem. I went into the iPhone via Diskaid, removed Categories and my folders were still there (with no Categories file). Ended up having to set up my phone as "new" because a lot of my apps were still not showing up after a restore.

samy

Bronze
Sep 23, 2008
California
Ok, I am having a similar problem (I think). They switched out my iPhone today at the Apple store for a new one. I connected to iTunes and restored from my last back up last night. My problem is that my phone I turned in was jailbroken (don't worry I restored before I took it to Apple), anyways, I had several apps in category files i.e. Winterboard, games from both Apps Store and Cydia, Customize, etc. Now after jailbreaking today those apps are missing. When I go under Cydia to reinstall these apps it shows them as already installed but still don't show up. So should I restore to a back up before I downloaded catagories or should I just restore as new phone?

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
IMO I would set up as new. Get the phone set up as you want it (pre jailbreak) do a back up so you have a good clean back up
Then JB. I no longer back up my JB so I never loose my good Back Up. Of course I am on a Outlook Server so all my information is not a factor and I can synch eWallet via desktop

x4x5x1x

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wyandotte Mi
www.myspace.com
if you JB always set up as new. it takes care of most minor problems. yeah it sucks to setup everything again but i think its worth it.

pucku

Nov 26, 2008
I just QuickPwnd 2.2.1 and lost a bunch of programs, because they were in my Catagories folders...tried a bunch of things and nothing was working. Finally, I installed BigBoss Poof, turned on everything and they all came back...Hope this helps others.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
when you install categories it warns you of this. before you do a restore or rejailbreak you need to take all the apps out of the categories otherwise you wont see them anymore.

pucku

Nov 26, 2008
I know, but when you forget to pull out all the programs from catagories first like I did :oops:, you can just install POOF, turn them all on and get the same effect.