CDs to 3G

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I have CDs that I want on my G3. I understand how to load a CD to iTunes, but before I sync to iPhone I understand that the music must be in a format compatible with the phone.
Will a CD sync into the phone or must I translate (?) into a different digital format?

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
It should be an mp3, just add the songs to iTunes and sync normally to your phone.

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
complete info

It should be an mp3, just add the songs to iTunes and sync normally to your phone.
Mario,
I am talking about commercial CDs, not downloaded from iTunes store. I don't believe commercial CDs are in mp3 format. Though I could be wrong.
Thanks.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Just use iTunes to import your music and you will be fine. If it is somehow the wrong format it should tell you. It doesn't have to be mp3.

Taken from the Apple iPhone Tech Specs page:

Audio formats supported: AAC, Protected AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

Marty Mar

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Cortland Ohio
A cd from a factory is "cda" format (I believe) which is pretty much the same as WAV pretty much. If you go into edit>preferences>advanced tab (I think) you can set iTunes to rip the cd into any format you want pretty much. I suggest MP3 at 320k, the files will be bigger than normal iTunes, but sound exactly like the cd (aka: lossless). As much as they want to tell you that normal iTunes downloaded at 192k are cd quality, they are far from it.

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
cda

A cd from a factory is "cda" format (I believe) which is pretty much the same as WAV pretty much. If you go into edit>preferences>advanced tab (I think) you can set iTunes to rip the cd into any format you want pretty much. I suggest MP3 at 320k, the files will be bigger than normal iTunes, but sound exactly like the cd (aka: lossless). As much as they want to tell you that normal iTunes downloaded at 192k are cd quality, they are far from it.
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try when I'm up to it.

Ciao

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try when I'm up to it.

Ciao
Honestly Mickey it's a pretty straight shot process.

Just go into your iTunes preferences to set it up to encode the cd in whatever format you prefer, pop the cd in the drive and iTunes does all the work for you. It's really effortless and, honestly, you don't even have to tell it what format you'd prefer since you obviously don't have a preference.

Just open iTunes, insert the cd into the drive and you'll get a pop up message asking if you want to import the cd. Choose yes and in a couple minutes you'll have access to your favorite tunes right from your iPhone.

mickey35

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Honestly Mickey it's a pretty straight shot process.

Just go into your iTunes preferences to set it up to encode the cd in whatever format you prefer, pop the cd in the drive and iTunes does all the work for you. It's really effortless and, honestly, you don't even have to tell it what format you'd prefer since you obviously don't have a preference.

Just open iTunes, insert the cd into the drive and you'll get a pop up message asking if you want to import the cd. Choose yes and in a couple minutes you'll have access to your favorite tunes right from your iPhone.
Well, no that you've made it even more clear I can't resist.
Thanks again.

Michae