Cell Phone Numbers Going Public?

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Just thought I'd share.

Got this email this morning. Don't know how much of it is true but i've heard of this before. This email was orginally sent on 1/24 so I don't know if it has actually started. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

> Cell phone numbers going public tomorrow
>
>
> REMINDER....all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies tomorrow and you will start to receive sale calls.
>
> ....YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS
>
> To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
>
>
888-382-1222.
>
> It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time
> It blocks your number for five (5 ) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.
>
> HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and Family members-
> It take about 20 seconds.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just thought I'd share.

Got this email this morning. Don't know how much of it is true but i've heard of this before. This email was orginally sent on 1/24 so I don't know if it has actually started. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

> Cell phone numbers going public tomorrow
>
>
> REMINDER....all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies tomorrow and you will start to receive sale calls.
>
> ....YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS
>
> To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
>
> 888-382-1222.
>
> It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time
> It blocks your number for five (5 ) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.
>
> HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and Family members-
> It take about 20 seconds.
Did this a little over 2 years ago. Worth the 5 minutes you spend registering.
Please note, the registration only lasts for about 5 years, so bookmark it, and renew as needed. https://www.donotcall.gov/
Personally, I think telemarketing should be outlawed - ESPECIALLY on cell phones.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Just registered my cell phone with the do not call list. Hopefully it works. I have yet to have someone call me marketing but you never know.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Technically, they started releasing numbers to telemarketers a couple years ago, but many companies had/have a policy of not calling cell numbers. Since now that people are abandoning land lines for cell service, the policies are changing.
I used to get telemarketer calls after I registered, and what I do is politely ask the person for the name of their company and the company they might represent. Then I calmly explain that I am on the do not call registry and if I receive any more calls from them, they are subject to fines and payments to me.
Right after I get off the phone with them, If I have the number they called from, I go to donotcall.gov and report them as well to better arm myself in case they do call again. So far, no repeat offenders, and telemarketing has ceased.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
<damn, I should have looked on Snopes>
Good catch Tinman. But again, personal experience (since I haven't had a land line in years) is that eventually, regardless of being illegal or not, people are going to get telemarketers calling their cell numbers. Especially if they don't have a land line and they have the cell number listed anywhere as main contact number.
Registering with the DoNotCall registry cannot hurt and it's free.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
<damn, I should have looked on Snopes>
Good catch Tinman. But again, personal experience (since I haven't had a land line in years) is that eventually, regardless of being illegal or not, people are going to get telemarketers calling their cell numbers. Especially if they don't have a land line and they have the cell number listed anywhere as main contact number.
Registering with the DoNotCall registry cannot hurt and it's free.
Keep in mind it's illegal to auto-dial cellphones, as most all telemarketing firms do. Not sure I want to give my cell number to yet another governmental agency unless I know it will do something constructive.

--
Mike