Cell phones MORE dangerous than smoking!

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Has anyone else seen the article in the LA times from a well respected Brain doctor stating that cell phone use (with the handset held against your head) causes cancer/brain toumers (sp) in about ten years. (less for children)? Of course cellphone companys deny any truth to this....

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Just because he operates on brains does not mean he can know where cancers are coming from. I don't buy it. Maybe after a bunch of research. As for now, iPhone all the way.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
if that true then we're all screwed unless you live ontop of a mountain. we are constantly surrounded by all sorts of radio wave for example phones, satelite tv and radio just to mention a few.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Just because he operates on brains does not mean he can know where cancers are coming from. I don't buy it. Maybe after a bunch of research. As for now, iPhone all the way.
come on you are over symplifing this. He doesn't just operate on brains, he is a world renound brain Scientist! he has been studing the effects of cellphone radiation on the brain for years!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I remember these reports years ago saying that anyone that had a cellphone in the 90s would be dead by the year 2000. I don't buy into it at all. Everything is dangerous for you these days, so why limit yourself to solitary confinement in a sterile room?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Has anyone else seen the article in the LA times from a well respected Brain doctor stating that cell phone use (with the handset held against your head) causes cancer/brain toumers (sp) in about ten years. (less for children)? Of course cellphone companys deny any truth to this....
I don't need to read this article to understand its message: radiation of any variety and in any quantity has an unpredictable impact on the human body. Lower doses over longer exposure periods have less impact than larger doses given over shorter periods are more troubling.

Cell phone radiation could reduce life expectancy. Bottom line. But, as a nuclear engineer, trained to understand and prevent unsafe exposures to radiation, I won't keep that risk from letting me enjoy life to the fullest. I live with a greater risk of death by violent dismemberment from my fellow DC drivers who think the Capital Beltway is the Daytona 500.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
But, as a nuclear engineer, trained to understand and prevent unsafe exposures to radiation, I won't keep that risk from letting me enjoy life to the fullest. I live with a greater risk of death by violent dismemberment from my fellow DC drivers who think the Capital Beltway is the Daytona 500.
Nicely put. Visited DC / Reston, Va. few years back - that traffic is BRUTAL.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Well, damn, and I thought all the bluetooth users were doomed.

I could so see this turning into one of those plague the human race is dead movies. Maybe something like a zombie movie but everyone but a small group of people have glowing heads of radiation and if they bite you....:p

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
well if all it takes is using a headset then it's no big sacrifice. (Why didin't I learn to spell in school?) (smile)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
My mother had surgery last winter to have a tumor on her brainstem removed. The surgery paralyzed the right side of her face and made her deaf in the right ear. She had never owned a cell phone before that; and for the reason mentioned above. Only my dad carried one, and he has absolutely no problems.

- John

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
My mother had surgery last winter to have a tumor on her brainstem removed. The surgery paralyzed the right side of her face and made her deaf in the right ear. She had never owned a cell phone before that; and for the reason mentioned above. Only my dad carried one, and he has absolutely no problems.

- John
Obviously a sample size but a good example of why you should live your life to the fullest.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The main danger is for those idiots driving, talking and text messaging all at the same time.
Precisely! Even though I find myself texting while driving (only ever while stopped at a light mind you) most of the drivers on the road these days can't handle driving in itself, so when you add using a handheld device to the mix, you're just asking for disaster.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Its probably true. The fcc is so corrupt it's like a lapdog to the wireless industry. I have heard this before when one of my neighbors died of Brain Cancer, the doctor said it was due to frequent cell phone use. The man used the phone as his main businesss line and was on it for several hrs. a day. I believe it, as much as I'd like not to. That's why most mobile phones come wuth a pamphlet basically warning you to use at your own risk.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Here are the results of a meta-analysis on the subject. It's huge and recent. No statistical link between all kinds of brain tumors and cell use.

I'll worry about things worth worrying about. There are plenty of those:(.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Here are the results of a meta-analysis on the subject. It's huge and recent. No statistical link between all kinds of brain tumors and cell use.

I'll worry about things worth worrying about. There are plenty of those:(.
Like not being able to find my copy of Galaxy Quest. I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can't find it. I'm pretty depressed about it actually.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Like not being able to find my copy of Galaxy Quest. I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can't find it. I'm pretty depressed about it actually.
That's very depressing. I can never find anything myself, so I keep all my favorite movies (many,many of them) on my computer, and I burn a DVD whenever I want to watch one on another device. (Yes, I DO HAVE Galaxy Quest:)).

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's very depressing. I can never find anything myself, so I keep all my favorite movies (many,many of them) on my computer, and I burn a DVD whenever I want to watch one on another device. (Yes, I DO HAVE Galaxy Quest:)).
I've been in the process of backing up all of my DVDs to my computer, but sadly I haven't made it to the G's in the alphabet yet. I'm considering running to Wal*Mart to see if they have it in stock. The only way I can study is if I have a movie playing in the background. I designate them study movies, I know, weird.

To bring the discussion back to the topic a bit, I would think that Bluetooth headsets would be channeling the energy directly into your ear cavity more than simply talking on the phone. Either way, why stop doing something you enjoy if there is no real statistical evidence to say it is dangerous. That being said I do not condone the use of Bluetooth headsets as an alternative to talking regularly on the phone.