Cellular Data connection not available during this call call?

tylercr16

Bronze
Jul 6, 2009
Louisiana
This is a message my girlfriend gets when she's trying to get on the Internet while she's on the phone with me. Yet I'm posting this message as we are on the phone. Any ideas? And another thing, we were on the phone and I noticed where 3G is it had a small circle similar in size to the alarm clock, just where 3G or E shows up. Can anybody answer that one as well?
Thanks

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
If shes on EDGE then she cannot use internet and the phone at the same time. Only 3g can do this.

tylercr16

Bronze
Jul 6, 2009
Louisiana
Just curious, what exactly is that? Is it bad? Give me the whole scoop

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Its like when you have Location services enabled in your settings

When you open say the camera app and it asks you would you like to use current location

GPS is what is used to find your location

It is also used in the Maps app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
RossMc, that is the GPRS symbol, not GPS. In certain areas you will fall back to that where there is no Edge available, just as you fall back to Edge where there is no 3G available. They have changed the appearance of these symbols a few times since the V1 was released, but the small circle in the network spot is the current GPRS symbol.

Data is not available while on GPRS. It is only available on Edge and 3G.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
RossMc, that is the GPRS symbol, not GPS. In certain areas you will fall back to that where there is no Edge available, just as you fall back to Edge where there is no 3G available. They have changed the appearance of these symbols a few times since the V1 was released, but the small circle in the network spot is the current GPRS symbol.

Ah I see my mistake :eek:k:eek:k

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

Yep, it is indeed GPRS. I've seen the location indicator too, but it was on the right side of the status bar.

But one correction: data is indeed available via GPRS. Speed is much lower than EDGE though, with real-world speed around 25-50kbps. Like EDGE, no phone calls while it is active, or vice versa.

--
Mike

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I never knew that. I'm always on GPRS in my building at work and can get data on GPRS. Although, I use the "Light" version of EIC since GPRS is a little slow. I also go on Twitter while on GPRS.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I never knew that. I'm always on GPRS in my building at work and can get data on GPRS. Although, I use the "Light" version of EIC since GPRS is a little slow. I also go on Twitter while on GPRS.
See Tinman's post above. I was wrong, data is available on GPRS (it's just very slow and not available during a phone call).

Thanks for the correction Mike.